title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Cant play 24bit files. Why?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Cant play 24bit files. Why?

No codecs are needed if you have a 24 bit wave file, I am thinking it is the sound card.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Gabbon
      • Apr 2006

G'day,
      I noticed the thread here on 24-bit files.
      So far as I know, general media players will not play 24-bit files. They will only do 16-bit. Sorry situation indeed, so you'll have to use your authoring software to play them, or else convert them to 16-bit for media players to handle them :-(
      But hey, if you're going to burn to CD, you'll have to convert to 16-bit sometime anyway.

Ps. Do the conversion after you've mastered the track. This will give more bit depth to whatever digital effects you use & you'll retain your quality

Comment

• Gabbon
        • Apr 2006

OK,

Here's a workaround:

see this link:

In short:

Chris P "made a DirectShow transform filter that seems to work around this
        problem. The filter does nothing more than change the output pin type to
        be a WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE version of the input pin type and copies the
        original unmodified data from the input pin to the output pin.

You can get it here (use it entirely at your own risk, but I've tried it, and it works just great):

This filter is still kind of beta as I threw it together in about 20
        minutes. You will need to copy the AudioTypeConvert.ax file somewhere onto
        your system and manually register the filter using regsvr32. E.g. if you
        copy it to C:\Windows\System32 then, at the "run prompt" you would type:
        regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\AudioTypeConvert.ax

To disable it if you have a problem, at the "run prompt," type:
        regsvr32 /U c:\windows\system32\AudioTypeConvert.ax"

Comment

Working...

]]>