title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How do I retain comments in the ID Tag

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texasflood
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2008

How do I retain comments in the ID Tag

I would like to use the "Comments" box in the top right corner of the ripper to add artists and instruments (for jazz and/or classical), such as M. Davis (t), J. Coltrane (ts), P. Chambers (b), J. Cobb (d) and retain this info in the ID Tag. I have comments checked under options, but when I encode to FLAC the info isn't there. I tried to add it again using mp3Tag when converting the flac files to mp3 and it still isn't there. Surely this is possible, or the comments box wouldn't be there, right?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: How do I retain comments in the ID Tag

What are you using to try to read the Comments tag? If you aren't already, try using the dMC "Edit Tag" or Audio Properties tabs on the file properties.

Comment

• texasflood
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by LtData
      What are you using to try to read the Comments tag? If you aren't already, try using the dMC "Edit Tag" or Audio Properties tabs on the file properties.
      Honestly, I don't know where to find "Edit Tag" in dMC. I did find Audio Properties and it doesn't show anything but the basics:

Artist Dizzy Gillespie
      Title <different>
      Album Sonny Side Up
      Track <different>
      Disc 01
      Genre Jazz
      Year 1957
      Rating <different>
      Composer
      Combined Size 228.16 MB (41% Compressed)
      Original Size 381.23 MB
      Combined Length 37 minutes 46 seconds
      Channels 2 (stereo)
      Sample Rate 44.1 KHz{CR}
      Sample Size 16 bit
      Average Bit Rate 1,411 kbps

Whereas the tab next to it, "ID Tag", shows all of the meta data, including "comments".
      In dMC, under DSP Effects/Actions is "ID Tag Processing". If you click "Settings" then "Additions" then "Add New" and choose "Comment" from the drop down menu, it says [type tag value] next to it. I don't know if this is what I'm looking for, and if it is, I don't know what to type there. I'm just trying to learn as I go, so any help is greatly appreciated (and needed).:blush:

Comment

• texasflood
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jul 2008

I forgot to add that what I'm trying to do is get the "comment" to show up in the column in Media Monkey or Winamp after converting the flac file to mp3 and adding the files to those programs.

Comment

• Tigerman
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Mar 2005

Edit ID tag should be available if you right click on a file.
          But if I remember correctly it's not available under 64bit windows.

In your case I would add the comments after the ripping with mp3-tag.
          Open the directory in mp3-tag, select the files in which you want to add the comments.
          Type the comments in de comments box and click save.

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Tigerman: The "Audio Properties" doesn't work in 64-bit Windows, the "Edit ID Tag" does work.

Comment

• texasflood
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by LtData
              Tigerman: The "Audio Properties" doesn't work in 64-bit Windows, the "Edit ID Tag" does work.
              Thanks. For some reason when I add a comment in dB Ripper, it now is added to the tag. I don't know what I'm doing differently, but I'm happy. :D If for some reason I use EAC for a particular CD, "Edit ID Tag" does work great to add any tag I want, and I use mp3Tag to add album art.

Comment

Working...

]]>