title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    Thanks Oggy, It is always the last and/or last-but-one track(s) on the CD. And the CDs are in excellent condition, for the most part. It tries a few 'ultra secure' rips before moving onto ripping in 'frames'. They do complete in the end, but "with errors" - as per notice in PerfectTUNES.

I have wiped the CDs but not the drive lens. My flat does get quite dusty actually! My work PC is in the store today for a free annual health-check. I told them about the CD drive so they said they would take a look.

I installed TRIAL of PerfectTUNES and dBpa onto my home PC this morning. It is taking longer to rip here, but there have been no rejects as yet. Thanks, Paul
    I've noticed on the CDs where I start having issues, the problems are often with the last few tracks of the CD. In many(most) cases, trying with a different drive can get a secure rip (no error, maybe at worst a "warning").

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
      I've noticed on the CDs where I start having issues, the problems are often with the last few tracks of the CD. In many(most) cases, trying with a different drive can get a secure rip (no error, maybe at worst a "warning").
      Gary, On my home PC (running TRIAL dBpa) I have not as yet had an awkward rip. My work PC is having a free health-check til tomorrow. The guy said he can replace the existing optical with a newly for fairly cheep. Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Hi, Sony wrote saying that the received-for-inspection Walkman is being checked for: "liquid damage and sand ingress"! Paul

Comment

• Oggy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2015

Hi, Sony wrote saying that the received-for-inspection Walkman is being checked for: "liquid damage and sand ingress"! Paul
          Listening to music, drunk on the beach?

What are, these companies like!! It was probably spotless, until they "repaired" it, the first time.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
            Listening to music, drunk on the beach?

What are, these companies like!! It was probably spotless, until they "repaired" it, the first time.
            They placed a ghastly yellow sticker on the rear with the ref. number. When I peeled it off, the back of the Sony was all gluey!

Listening to Miles Davis in Magaluf!
            Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-24-2017, 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Oggy
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by garym
              Same here, a different drive, usually gives a better result.

I do think the last track, is the most likely to cause problems, for various reasons. 74 minute plus, playing time, finger prints, "being eaten" by slot loading drives, particularly car CD players. Even the CD for, CD rot and bronzing, usually affecting the outside of a CD first.

Even the CD drive, is more likely to have problems, at the extremities.

Using full sized, internal CD drives, was probably the best move I made, in the quest for error free ripping, quicker.
              Last edited by Oggy; 08-24-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

Same here, a different drive, usually gives a better result.

I do think the last track, is the most likely to cause problems, for various reasons. 74 minute plus, playing time, finger prints, "being eaten" by slot loading drives, particularly car CD players. Even the CD for, CD rot and bronzing, usually affecting the outside of a CD first.

Even the CD drive, is more likely to have problems, at the extremities.

Using full sized, internal CD drives, was probably the best move I made, in the quest for error free ripping, quicker.
                Oggy, My HP laptop at home is slower than my DELL for ripping, but it is far less problematic. Not once has it resorted to ripping by frames.

"Slot loading" would be as on a laptop? Thanks, Paul

Comment

• Oggy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2015

Oggy, My HP laptop at home is slower than my DELL for ripping, but it is far less problematic. Not once has it resorted to ripping by frames.

"Slot loading" would be as on a laptop? Thanks, Paul
                  Slot loading, as opposed to, tray loading.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Slot loading, as opposed to, tray loading.
                    Like these:

Comment

• Oggy
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2015

Some top-end slot loaders, can have a very well designed seal / loading mechanism. Some cheap ones, are open to the elements, and very easy to pick up dirt, scratching the CD, as it is inserted / rejected.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Hi, I am wanting to have a single CD with TWO pieces of artwork, please. So, the front cover art for side A, and the rear cover art for side B.

I have used EDIT TAG ID to assign the two different PNGs respectively.

Two questions, please:

In the album folder, only one (art) FOLDER ever appears - I would have thought there should be two?

In foobar, it will only display ONE piece of artwork, even when I manually toggle between (what would be) sides A and B. Thanks, Paul

Click image for larger version

Name:	art.png
Views:	1
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	293530
                        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-24-2017, 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Hi, I am wanting to have a single CD with TWO pieces of artwork, please. So, the front cover art for side A, and the rear cover art for side B.

Two questions, please:

In the album folder, only one (art) FOLDER ever appears - I would have thought there should be two?

In foobar, it will only display ONE piece of artwork, even when I manually toggle between (what would be) sides A and B. Thanks, Paul

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1589[/ATTACH]

Do you have an art FOLDER in your album folder? How do you make that happen? Don't you have album art files within a single folder rather than a folder for art? Also, you have never been clear about how you add art. Is it embedded in each file? Is it a file within the album folder (folder.jpg, cover.jpg or ???.jpg). Or do you do both. This is an important question.
                          Last edited by garym; 08-24-2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Jailhouse
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Sep 2016

I am wanting to have a single CD with TWO pieces of artwork, please. So, the front cover art for side A, and the rear cover art for side B.

Two questions, please:

In foobar, it will only display ONE piece of artwork, even when I manually toggle between (what would be) sides A and B.
                            Your picture shows that you have embedded different art in the selected tracks. If foobar is set to prefer embedded album art, you should see the different images. If set to prefer external, it will search for whatever file names are used for art (configurable), such as Folder.jpg, Cover.jpg, Front.jpg, etc.

It looks to me that you might be embedding cover art in the FLAC files while also putting a cover art file in the folder with the audio files, and that foobar is set to prefer external art. If you want to see art on a track-by-track basis, embed the art (as you've done), set foobar to prefer it, and forget about using external art files as you're just wasting HD space. (I include one separate Cover.jpg file in the folder with the audio files, saving me from having that much extra file size in every single FLAC file. I easily save over a megabyte of file space with a ten-track CD.)

Note that you cannot have two files named "Folder.jpg" in the same file folder, if that's what you mean by "one (art) FOLDER." If, as Oggy asks, you have a file folder (named "FOLDER") in the album folder where the FLACs reside, you cannot have another file folder in there with the same name.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Thanks JH, yes, your last paragraph is correct regarding my attempt at trying to convey my methodology. I will have a test out again in the morning. I have not still managed to get foobar and the Dell HD correctly configured on my home laptop (as per ERROR MESSAGE description a few posts back). Cheers, Paul.

EDIT - Sorry, I meant here:

Hi folks, I did not want to hijack someone else's thread which is similar (though running a bit dry). Hence I have started this fresh one. I originally ripped my CD collection to mp3 format. For playing such files on my PC (Win_10), I have used 'Windows Media Player' exclusively. 'WMP' was also used to rip my CD

Final post to date.
                              Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-25-2017, 01:44 AM. Reason: link

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

Hi, somewhere in this thread there is a NAMING STRING which relates to the maximum length of characters (ie 240 not 260), and also to correct handle compilations. I am not sure I have the correct one pasted into dBpa (on my home PC) as it should start with the max-characters:

Click image for larger version

Name:	naming.png
Views:	1
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	293531

I can't seem to find the post among these 27 pages?! Thanks, Paul.
                                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-25-2017, 08:21 PM. Reason: screenshot

Comment

Working...

]]>