title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Annoying repeats at the end of live tracks that I convert

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Annoying repeats at the end of live tracks that I convert

Have you tried to use WIndows Explorer and select the tracks from there and convert by right click using dMC instead of ripping?

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

Addition: Preface to the Rest of this Message (even though the Preface is available last): If you play a problem track as a cd track on your computer, does it play OK? If this track does not play ok, does it play ok on a standard CD player? If the answer to both questions is no, the problem may lie with your cd. If the answer is yes to the second question but no to the first question, and if you have 2 drives, try the other drive. Does that play ok? Assuming that the tracks play ok at least on a cd player, you can prod\ceed with the other tips/suggestions which comprised the original message.

What version of Windows are you using?

Trying Christina's suggestion, converting a problem track through Windows Explorer, do you still get the same error?

I have 3 possible suggestions, none of which may help.
      2 simple things:
      1. Open dMC Audio CD Configuration (Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Configuration>dMC Audio CD Configuration).
      On the line that reads CD Communication switch it from ASPI to 2000/NT Built-In (Assuming you have Windows 2000 or above).
      Exit and try playing the track through preview to see if that helps. If it is already set to 2000/NT Built-In switch it to ASPI and see if that helps. If this effort makes no difference, switch back to your original setting.

2. Open up Audio CD Input. Click on the arrow (pointing downward) by the Options button. Click on the line that reads Standard CD Player Emulation. First look at Table of Contents Detection. Is this checked or not? If it is checked, uncheck it; if it is unchecked try checking it. Exit and retry previewing your problem track. If this does not help, reset to original setting.

The 3rd possible option is somewhat more work. It is possible that your drive has an affset that could be throwing off your conversions and causing your problem. There is a free application known as AccurateRip that allows you to configure dMC to your drives' offsets (assuming you have nore than 1 drive). You can find their download site here: http://www.accuraterip.com/software.htm
      For more information, you can check out the AudioSense website here:

You can also locate their existing database for reported drive offsets for your make of drive and manually set the offset through the Audio CD Parameters (through Audio CD Input, the downward arrow next to Options, click on Standard CD Player Emulation. Otherwise (and more accurate, but also more effort, you can use AccurateRip and the AccurateRip database to help configure the appropriate drive offsets for your drives).
      Reported drive offsets configured by AccurateRip can be found here:

However, it may be the case that your drives are not listed or that your drive's offset may be different than the one reported. It is more work, however, to configure your drive (just to prepare you).

Please let us know how you make out.
      Best wishes,
      Bill

PS-Please remember to check out the cd as played both on a cd player and played as a cd by your computer first as outlined in the preface I have added to this message.

-Bill
      Last edited by xoas; 09-06-2005, 04:15 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

• Drysarcasm
        • Sep 2005

I tried suggestion 1, changing it from SCSI Direct Pass Through to ASPI. It caused dBpowerAMP to stop recognizing that there was even a disk in the drive.

I tried suggestion 2 and nothing changed.

I will see what AccurateRip has to offer.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Try changing to "Windows Built-In (Limited)".

Comment

• Drysarcasm
            • Sep 2005

I was kind of scared off by the word "limited," you know? It didn't sound like a good thing.

So I ran AccurateRip ... now what? Where do I go to make whatever adjustments need to be made?

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

The Limited just means mostly that you cannot change the command set and you can't read CD-Text off of CDs. It doesn't do any harm to your CD drive or to your rips.

Comment

• xoas
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2002

So I ran AccurateRip ... now what? Where do I go to make whatever adjustments need to be made?
                You mean you downloaded and installed it?
                If so, you have to configure your drive's offset using AccurateRip. Instructions can be found in the AccurateRip Help file (Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Help>AccurateRip Help).

Best wishes,
                Bill

Comment

• Drysarcasm
                  • Sep 2005

It gave me a message saying that AccurateRip had configured correctly, but every rip I've done since then has been reported as being not accurate. It says the disks I'm using are in the database, but they all appear to be different pressings.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Not sure if this would make any difference, but check the properties of your cd drive.

My Computer > right click the cd drive > Properties > Hardware > pick the drive > Properties again.

Look at Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device. If it's checked, uncheck it.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Another thing to check is compare your drive's offset with the offset in the database for your drive: http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm

Also, check your IDE controller settings in Device Manager to make sure the drives are set for DMA and not PIO.
                      Last edited by LtData; 09-09-2005, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• Drysarcasm
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by LtData
                        Another thing to check is compare your drive's offset with the offset in the database for your drive: http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm

Also, check your IDE controller settings in Device Manager to make sure the drives are set for DMA and not PIO.
                        The offset matches what is in the database.

I looked at the IDE settings -- primary was DMA, secondary was PIO. I adjusted the secondary. Why is this important?

I also followed the latest suggestion from ChristinaS.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

Ok, so now all you still have to do is reboot :D

Comment

• LtData
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

Here's why its important. DMA mode transfers data from the CD-ROM directly to the memory (Direct Memory Access) whereas PIO mode transfers data from the CD-ROM to the memory via the CPU (Programmed Input/Output). This means the CPU usage is higher with PIO and also the transfer is slower.
                            In my case, when my CD Drive was in PIO Mode, I could not listen to any type of audio while using my CD Drive at all.

Comment

• Drysarcasm
                              • Sep 2005

I just tried "Chump" again, and it still has the repeats at the end. (And, to answer an earlier question from xoas, I have listened to this album many a time on a regular CD player and never heard a problem; I wouldn't even know when the track changed to the next song unless I made a point of staring at the readout.) I would imagine that the changes everyone has suggested have probably improved the overall quality of my rips -- a problem in itself, as I find myself having to constantly erase songs off my iPod because they have clicks and pops and skips -- but this particular glitch persists.

Any other ideas?

Comment

• LtData
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • May 2004

Have you tried ripping to another format (WAV, WMA, etc.) to see if the repeats still occur? I ask this because mabye your computer doesn't like encoding to mp3 for one reason or another.
                                Also, did you make sure you aren't running any PowerPack DSP effects? Click the rocket icon in CDGrab and then click the "DSP Effects" button and make sure that the left-handed column is blank.

Comment

Working...

]]>