title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Registration now required ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • learjeff
    • May 2002

Registration now required ???

I've used dMC for years now and strongly recommended it to everyone.

But a guy who recently installed it on my recommendation is getting the following:

The Power Pack & MP3 Encoding License Trial Version have expired
    The Power Pack adds Advanced options to dB Power and MP3 Encoding
    License allows unlimited MP3 writing.

So, it isn't free any more? The product page says, "100% Free (mp3 encoder on trial license), No nags, popups, hidden spyware or bundleware." That seems like a contradiction -- is it 100% free or do we now have to pay to do MP3 encoding?

dBPA is worth the registration fee. If we have to pay now, fine. But I was caught off guard by the change in policy, and the product page seems misleading (or else I have a misunderstanding).

I've been planning to register just to show my appreciation. I've had no need for any of the PowerPack benefits.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Registration now required ???

Install the latest R11 and read teh first 4 lines as presented in the help file (after install), all explained.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

The program itself is free. The only thing that costs is the PowerPack and now to encode to mp3. This is due to the owners of the mp3 patent demanding royalty fees. See this thread: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...9&page=1&pp=15 and also see the help file, as Spoon said.
      Edit: Here's the quote from the Help file:
      Important part: dBpowerAMP's mp3 encoder (writer) is on a time limited 30 day trial license, illustrate has provided a 100% free encoder for many years, but a legal challenge (claims of patent infringement) has forced a change, the world cannot have a free mp3 encoder so it seems. This license is purchased through the Power Pack license (a series of enhancements to dBpowerAMP: Faster CD Ripping, Handles Compilation CDs, Preview CDs, ID Tag Editing, DSP Sound Effects and more)...all for $14 [Registration can be made here].

Put into a nut shell - if you wish to pay nothing, ignore the 30 day registration reminder and all that will happen is the mp3 encoder & Power Pack enhancements will deactivate. You will still be able to Rip CDs and convert files to any other format (WMA, Ogg Vorbis, etc).
      Last edited by LtData; 04-29-2005, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• learjeff
        • May 2002

OK, thanks! Might be a good idea to explain that clearly on the dMC page.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

100% Free (mp3 encoder on trial license), No nags, popups, hidden spyware or bundleware.
          Seems to be pretty clear to me. Mabye we should explicitly mention it on the page, but it IS in the help file.

Comment

• JRSellers
            • Jun 2004

If dMC itself is free, and Power Pack costs money, just unbundle Power Pack and Music Converter, and make them seperate downloads again. Or better yet, make Power Pack free. You can still make money from Sveta Portable Audio and dBpowerAMP CD Writer.

Give dMC users a choice.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

The PowerPack is included since its required for mp3 encoding. This is so people don't start wondering why they can't encode to mp3 with dMC. As for making the PowerPack free, I think most of the money is made from the PowerPack. And there's still the problem of the mp3 licensing cost.
              Last edited by LtData; 04-30-2005, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• learjeff
                • May 2002

OK, here's what I mean.

This is a big departure from the previous versions. Yet it's just mentioned parenthetically in a statement that starts with "100% free" -- which isn't strictly true. You could make the mp3 trial text a link to a short statement that you're now legally required to do this, which would help us all understand without having to search the forum (BTW, I did look at a whole lot of posts and didn't find the discussion).

I'm not trying to bust your chops. dMC is a terrific tool -- the very best of its kind, even a top tool of all kinds. That's why I always recommend it. And I realize you're trying to do the right thing here.

It's a shame about MP3. While it's not the best sounding, it's the best for posting on the web because it's universally recognized. Well, maybe this will help put Ogg where it belongs. The funny thing is, they already let the cat out of the bag. This new action probably won't do a whole lot of good to the MPEG group, because there's too much free software out there already.

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

The MPEG group isn't the one with the patents. Its Thompson that is now demanding royalty fees. Yes, this is just going to result in people turning to other formats or just using their old versions.

And some clarification to that statement, or the addition of another line, probably couldn't hurt.

Comment

• JRSellers
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by LtData
                    The PowerPack is included since its required for mp3 encoding. This is so people don't start wondering why they can't encode to mp3 with dMC. As for making the PowerPack free, I think most of the money is made from the PowerPack. And there's still the problem of the mp3 licensing cost.
                    Yes well, I think I'll just use FreeRIP.

C ya'.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

If you don't feel dMC is worth the $14 fee, go for it.

Comment

• Smoggy
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by JRSellers

C ya'.
                        Freerip sucks!
                        It's not 1/2 the software DMC is :D

Comment

• Tomb
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by JRSellers
                          C ya'.
                          Previous versions used to be laden with spyware. I'm sure the latest version is too.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2004

Agreed. Spyware present.

Comment

Working...

]]>