title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

wave to midi conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smoggy
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Feb 2005

Re: wave to midi conversion

Never heard of that...I guess it wouldn't hard to do though....throw the timing off by a few hundred Miliseconds every once in a while.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Smoggy
      Never heard of that...I guess it wouldn't hard to do though....throw the timing off by a few hundred Miliseconds every once in a while.
      Sort of like the opposite of quantize the way I vaguely understand it - unless I'm way off :o :D

BTW, I just fixed a midi file I'd found on the net. For some reason it had a very poor choice of instruments. It's magic! I replaced some of them with others and it now sounds 10 times better :D

One great immediate advantage of midi files I find is that you can instantly get sheet music reflecting a precise arrangement of a piece. I've used this more than once to print out parts for various instruments (Record Producer can print in music notation; so can Anvil with the proper plugin), and it's really a (free) gift from the gods.

We had a mild crisis one day when my musician daughter needed to learn a piece in a hurry for a little gig and found out (last minute) that just listening to a recording of it wasn't helping her much in figuring out the jazz piano solo that was the highlight of the tune. I found a good midi version of the song, close enough in style, and presto, got the music sheet printed before the diva had her pre-gig tantrum :D

Comment

• Smoggy
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Feb 2005

Very important to keep the Divas happy!!!! :smile2:

Comment

• Jimbo2005
          • Mar 2005

Wo ho!!

Midi is actually like written english. It's not music. It tells the computer's sound card to use music synthesis to produce the sounds.

They are instructions in "text", and the sound card uses its wavetable synthesizer to speak it out.

And oh yes, there are no such thing as vocal synthesizers too.

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

That's also why the MIDI files are so TINY.

Comment

• ShaneR
              • Apr 2004

I'll add my two cents

For software I have:

Sonar 4 PE
              NI Boesendorfer 290
              Garritan Personal Orchestra
              Sound forge
              Adobe audition
              Kontakt
              Sampletank XL 2

Those are my major apps. Tons of smaller utilites floatin around on my hard drive...lol. Out of the above, I use Sonar along with Sampletank XL2 the most--LOVE those two. I use the Bosendorfer quite a bit to when I need a really good piano in the mix.

Smoggy, I started out with music creator as well. It's an excellent program ...worth a lot more than what they charge for it. I only moved up to Sonar as it had a few more options on the audio and midi side the I needed (at least I tell myself that to justify it! LOL)

But, yeah, it's amazing what can be done. GPO, for example...a very talented guy on the GPO boards orchestrated a good portion for the LOTR score by hand; only using Garritan Personal Orchestra and notation software to input the notes. It sounded AMAZING. Well beyond my abilities...

whew...all this talk is making we want some new gear!! LOL...hide the wallet...

Comment

• Smoggy
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Feb 2005

What did you pay for Sonar 4 PE, If you don't mind me asking?

Comment

• ShaneR
                  • Apr 2004

I got the upgrade price for Sonar 2.0- 4PE (I skipped 3PE). I think it was $179.00?? I'll have to check. I do remember it was a discount over the normal upgrade from 2.0

Comment

• Smoggy
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Feb 2005

Wow that seems cheap!

Comment

• ShaneR
                      • Apr 2004

That's one awesome thing about Cakewalk. If you're already a customer, you get great discounts. In your case, where you already have Music Creator, you'd get a pretty good discount if you went to Sonar. That's how I did it, actually--I got Sonar 2.0 for $350 (give or take) instead of $700 as I had Music Creator .

I just looked on their site...If you have Music Creator Registered, you can get Sonar 4PE for $349.00, instead of $959. HUGE savings . Sonar 4 SE would be even cheaper.

Oh, I forogt that you asked about Project 5. I've never used it personally, but it has got a good rep. It all depends on what you want to do with it. It's a somehwat closed application (think: Reason) and more geared toward dance, techno etc.

Comment

Working...

]]>