title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

"Errors Whilst Converting" + ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • watwazat
    • Jan 2005

"Errors Whilst Converting" + ???

I have searched the forum but cannot find an answer specific to my problem.

No matter what WAV or MP3 file I try to convert I receive the following error message...

The output file 'D:\Track01.wav' could not be opened.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

In addition. I am brand new to converting and ripping files. I have three basic questions.

When you rip a file from a CD does it copy or remove that file from the CD?

Can you rip and convert simultaneously?

Lastly, when you convert say a WAV file to MP3, can you first copy your WAV file to maintain it's original format and then convert the copied WAV file?
    In other words, can the same file exist in both WAV and MP3 from the same original file, or once you convert to an MP3, if you want that same file as a WAV you have to convert it back again?

Cheers! :confused:
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: "Errors Whilst Converting" + ???

Originally posted by watwazat
    I have searched the forum but cannot find an answer specific to my problem.

No matter what WAV or MP3 file I try to convert I receive the following error message...

The output file 'D:\Track01.wav' could not be opened.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    I assume this is you trying to rip a CD. Where are you trying to convert the file to? It sounds as if you are trying to convert the file and save it to the CD, which you can't do. Change the location of where the converted files are saved.

When you rip a file from a CD does it copy or remove that file from the CD?
    It copies the file from the CD and converts it to whatever format you want.

Can you rip and convert simultaneously?
    This is a PowerPack option. Click on the PowerPack button in CDGrab and select "rip to RAM" and "rip & Convert".

Lastly, when you convert say a WAV file to MP3, can you first copy your WAV file to maintain it's original format and then convert the copied WAV file?
    In other words, can the same file exist in both WAV and MP3 from the same original file, or once you convert to an MP3, if you want that same file as a WAV you have to convert it back again?
    Unless you tell dMC to delete the original file, which I think is a VERY bad idea, you keep the original WAV file.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Every time you convert a file you are in fact creating a new file of a different file type. dMC allows you to delete the original file (bad choice - don't use it).

Also dMC allows you to specify where you want to save the newly created file. Wherever you stash it, make sure you're not overwriting another file with the same exact name and extension, unless this is really what you want to do. If you are converting file.wav to mp3 at avrious bitrates, if your output file is called file.mo3 it will overwrite whatever other file.mp3 you created before. So make sure you are aware of the full naming and location of files. Rename them to a meaningful name if you have to.

Comment

• watwazat
        • Jan 2005

Thank you for your reply!
        Last edited by watwazat; 01-05-2005, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Thank you for your reply!

One more question. If I try to convert a wma file, the converter
          tell's me "the file is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode"

Can you suggest any options converting these type of files?

Thank you!
          Well, essenially you cannot convert the file since it is protected and the protection cannot relaly or easily be broken.

It depends on how this protected file came to be on your computer. Is it a purchased file? purchased by you or copied from somebody else who bought it? Is it a file you created by ripping a cd in Windows Media Player and it turned up protected because the copy-protect optin was left as a default ?

If it's a file you bought and for which you hold the license on that same computer, then you can burn an audio cd using WIndows Media Player. Then you rip this cd using dMC Audio CD Input to whatever format you like.

If you don't have the license but you can play the file, you can record the audio from it to a .wav file (or .mp3 or other format) using dMC Auxiliary Input http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5362

Or refer to http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6541 for a program to unlock the .wma file.

Comment

Working...

]]>