title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Updating Lame Encoder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 55trucker
    • Sep 2002

Updating Lame Encoder

Hi there Spoon.....can you please tell me....with ANY version of Music converter (I'm using version 10, encoder is 3.93), can the Lame encoder be upgraded...WITHOUT updating to the next newer version of Poweramp?.....all that i am really looking for is to upgrade the encoder version, for the sake of better, not faster quality of mp3 conversion......apparently the current version of Lame is 3.96.1....a beta version 3.97 is available......thx for any suggestions..
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Updating Lame Encoder

In theory, you sould be able to use the LAME.exe codec from Codec Central and point it to your downloaded lame.exe, whatever version you wanted. I think that is how that codec works, but I have never tried it myself.

Comment

• adaywayne
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by 55trucker
      Hi there Spoon.....can you please tell me....with ANY version of Music converter (I'm using version 10, encoder is 3.93), can the Lame encoder be upgraded...WITHOUT updating to the next newer version of Poweramp?.....all that i am really looking for is to upgrade the encoder version, for the sake of better, not faster quality of mp3 conversion......apparently the current version of Lame is 3.96.1....a beta version 3.97 is available......thx for any suggestions..

You can download the 3.96.1 version from http://mitiok.free.fr/ and then copy and paste it into the same folder as the current Lame encoder (C:\Program Files \Illustrate\dBpowerAmp\Compression.) Rename it to Lame3.96.1 first so you know what version you have installed and then delete the older version of Lame Encoder. At least, that is the way I did it and it works fine.
      Arnie

Comment

• 55trucker
        • Sep 2002

Hi Arnie:Thx for the reply.......When you replaced the Lame exe, did you notice any change in the speed of the conversion process?.......I did try this with the 3.96 codec, and when trying to use Music Convertor, the speed slowed right down to .6 of the actual length of the track I was testing....did you see the same result?.....thx, Steve

Comment

• adaywayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by 55trucker
          Hi Arnie:Thx for the reply.......When you replaced the Lame exe, did you notice any change in the speed of the conversion process?.......I did try this with the 3.96 codec, and when trying to use Music Convertor, the speed slowed right down to .6 of the actual length of the track I was testing....did you see the same result?.....thx, Steve
          No problem like that. A 3-minute wave file converts in 15 seconds. But I have just realised one thing. When I manually installed the Lame 3.96.1 encoder, was quite some time ago. In the latest DAC Version 11, the default Lame encoder is, in fact, the 3.96.1 version!
          Arnie

Comment

• da2ho
            • Dec 2005

Having the same "problem", bumping this old thread...

I'm using dBpowerAMP 10.1 and would like to upgrade it with the latest Lame v.3.97.

I read adaywayne's post(s), but I have a couple of questions.

There's a Mp3 (Lame).dll file in the Compression folder, but there's also a Lame folder containing lame_enc.dll . Which one do I have to get rid of?

Another thing is-- where do I find this new dll 3.97 file?

This Soundforge page - what exactly is that file? What do I do with it?

Free, secure and fast downloads from the largest Open Source applications and software directory - SourceForge.net

Thanks for your help guys.
            Last edited by da2ho; 10-21-2006, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Re: Having the same "problem", bumping this old thread...

You are best just using R12 (in the beta section of this forum).
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DudeBoyz
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Oct 2006

So trying to update 11.5 with the latest 3.97 final is probably not something we end users should do, correct? It's not as easy as just copying the new DLL file over, right?

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Yes you can it is lame_enc.dll but the new Q values cannot be set from the old R11.5, R12 is needed for that.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DudeBoyz
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Oct 2006

So, it's best to just hang in there and wait.

I mean, it's not like Lame 3.96.1 (or whatever is native to 11.5) is garbage, right?

BTW, I am really looking forward to Release 12 getting done. I liked how it ran really fast on my Dual Core, even if it isn't working all the way interface wise and stuff yet. It was fun to test, but it'll be best when it's finished and released to us fanboys.

Thanks

Comment

Working...

]]>