title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dmc won't convert higher amount of mp3s in normal time

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • big k

dmc won't convert higher amount of mp3s in normal time

dmc always worked fine for me
    a couple of days though i formated my pc and installed the newest version of dmc and later also dmc-lame_enc370.

single tracks are not a problem but when i convert several tracks at once it will take extremly long maybe 20 min instead of 5 for example

i usually only use this tool for converting higher quality mp3s to 96 kbps so more tracks will fit on my mp3 stick

thx in advance for any help
  • Unregistered

Re: dmc won't convert higher amount of mp3s in normal time

actually this is only happening when i convert files off my harddrive directly onto my mp3 player
    which nonetheless never happened with the older version
    unfortenetaly i don't remember what version i used to use

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

What is your player?
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• big k

got an aiptek mp3-313 256mb

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

When you say converting several songs at once, do you mean in sequence or multiple versions of dMC running at once?
          If you run multiple versions at once, it will obviously take longer, as the CPU is trying to do more than one thing at a time.

Comment

• Unregistered

no, i've only got one version installed and i don't let multiple converting tasks run at the same time
            what i'm doing is, for example, convert one entire album at once from 256 to 96 or so

Comment

• Ayla
              • Nov 2004

I am using the DMC right now to convert a bunch of wavs to mp3s. This is what I have noticed so far.

It is a major drain on the CPU. I have a gigabyte processor board with also a gig of memory and I am running at one hundred percent system resources being used.

When I started the conversion four hours agao, it was telling me I had thirteen hours left in the conversion. And it did move not quite so fast. Now, it was taking as long as each song would take to play though, so happy happy joy joy.

Experimenting around, I shut down everything except for the converter. Knowing that Windows Explorer uses a lot of system resources, I ended that task also. Come back four hours later, the system is telling me three more hours to go. Yay!

Get on and start doing stuff again, and fifteen minutes later it is saying 2:46:19 remaining. So basically, it is operating in real time when I have other processes going on the computer.

The main processor for your system is your CPU. It does all the thinking for your computer. So when you have something like the converter going and then you are using a lot of other processes as well (such as internet, games, etc) it slows down all processes tremendously. Including your converter.

For faster conversion times, I suggest turning off any applications not related to the conversion and then getting off the computer until it is done.

Ayla---total novice who is just throwing two pennies into the pot.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Ayla
                I am using the DMC right now to convert a bunch of wavs to mp3s. This is what I have noticed so far.

It is a major drain on the CPU. I have a gigabyte processor board with also a gig of memory and I am running at one hundred percent system resources being used.

When I started the conversion four hours agao, it was telling me I had thirteen hours left in the conversion. And it did move not quite so fast. Now, it was taking as long as each song would take to play though, so happy happy joy joy.

Experimenting around, I shut down everything except for the converter. Knowing that Windows Explorer uses a lot of system resources, I ended that task also. Come back four hours later, the system is telling me three more hours to go. Yay!

Get on and start doing stuff again, and fifteen minutes later it is saying 2:46:19 remaining. So basically, it is operating in real time when I have other processes going on the computer.

The main processor for your system is your CPU. It does all the thinking for your computer. So when you have something like the converter going and then you are using a lot of other processes as well (such as internet, games, etc) it slows down all processes tremendously. Including your converter.

For faster conversion times, I suggest turning off any applications not related to the conversion and then getting off the computer until it is done.

Ayla---total novice who is just throwing two pennies into the pot.
                Well, you can and should change the priority of conversion to below normal. Oddly enough this will speed up things a lot.

Wav to mp3 should go actually very fast. I tested a 1-min 44.1. KHz 16-bit 2-channel stere PCM wav and it converted to mp3 @ 128kbps mp3 CBR in 6 seconds with Priority below normal. So in thsi case it's about 9-10x real time. Higher bitrate will take longer I guess. Real Media works in real time, all other are usually faster.

Comment

Working...

]]>