title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Connected

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smilinjack
    • Nov 2004

Connected

Does the converter have to be connected to the internet to work.
    Mine is working intermitently and I was wondering before I drive myself nuts; could the system be down???

Jack
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Connected

The converter will do just fine withoout being connected to the internet.
    The one thing that it will NOT do is to download information from the Freedb database when you are ripping cd's. Your options are enter the information by hand (in Audio CD input) or prepare in advance by logging on to the internet, opening Audio CD Input, and loading a number of cd's you figure you may want to rip. Do not rip them right now. But the Freedb data for each cd will be summoned up. At this point, the freedb data will also be saved in a file called cd.ini. This means that when you go to rip your cd's off-line the program can summon up the freedb dadta on its own.

Hope this helps.
    Best Wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• smilinjack
      • Nov 2004

Thanks Bill,
      Well I guess I'm doing something wrong again!
      I have used it successfully but now it stopped working.
      It's doing it on two computers so I suspected a connection problem but it could be I'm screwing up on both.
      It seems to be a common problem as I have read in the forums.
      Don't know why tracks are not showing when I open the program.
      They are there as confirmed by examination of the hard drive.

Jack

Comment

• Wayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Aug 2002

The CD Audio Input program also has the option to defer freedb requests. It allows you to rip tracks from a CD without requesting information from freedb. Once you go online you can request the program to retrieve the necessary information with which it can to update the ripped tracks.

I have only tried it once and decided that whilst useful it wasn't for me. The main issue I had was that you mustn't use the add music to dAP option. I also found that CD Audio Input didn't seem to update cdplayer.ini so when you inserted an CD previous processed it didn't remember the track/album names.

Wayne
        Last edited by Wayne; 11-10-2004, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• smilinjack
          • Nov 2004

I don't know Wayne!!!!
          I have three tracks on a cd that I just burned brand new out of the box; so I know it's good.
          I can see the tracks; the're in .AAC & .Rax format.
          I verified they exist in explorer
          Why are they not showing up when I open the converter or db power anp program.
          I'm gonna try and reinstall.
          What do you think???

Jack

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Do you have the codecs for those file types? In staleld to the same folder as all of dmC?

For ther .ra file you need Real Player or Real Alterantive installed as well.

.rax is special. You'll have to rename it to .ra and try again. It may or may not work, depending on whether it's encryptesd or not.

Comment

• smilinjack
              • Nov 2004

Thanks Christina,
              I don't know what codes are installed or not installed.
              How do you do that?
              When this was working I was able to convert the .rax files!
              maybe something got corrupted.
              When I open the program aren't the files on the disk supposed to show?

Thanks,
              Jack

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

On the dMC start menu folder, go to Configuration --> dMC Configuration
                It will list all the codecs that you have installed there.

Comment

• smilinjack
                  • Nov 2004

Thanks Data!
                  DMC Start Menu???
                  Where is that? When I open the music converter program the only options are: Rip, Refresh, freedb and options.
                  Am I in the right program???

Jack

Comment

• xoas
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2002

The full path is Start (button on lower leeft corner of desktop)> All Programs> dBpowerAMP Music Converter> Configuration> dMC Configuration.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Thanks for clearing that up xoas. Guess I need to be more clear next time.

Comment

• smilinjack
                        • Nov 2004

Yeah Thanks!!!
                        But I still don't see the files.
                        I just reinstalled as well.
                        Funny thing is that I was using it fine at one point.
                        Any Ideas or is this just another hard to use program; or am I a big dope???

Thanks again,
                        Jack

Comment

• xoas
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2002

Any Ideas or is this just another hard to use program; or am I a big dope???
                          Well there's always ideas. As for the rest...30+ years of marriage have trained me not to answer that kind of question.

I'm afraid we may have gone down a blind alley with your problem.
                          So let's back up.
                          I need you to verify the following and set me straight about any part of the following I am mistaken about:
                          1. You recently burned a disc with some AAC and .rax tracks (and are these in cd format so they will play on any old cd player or are they in aac and rax format on the disc?);
                          2. You are trying to copy these files from the cd to your computer converting them from their current format to some other format;
                          3. When you attempt this, dMC does not recognize the tracks (follow-up questions: does it show the tracks but not the track names/file names or do you see no tracks at all? Are you trying to access the cd through audio cd input or through File Selector or through the main dBpowerAMP Music Converter interface?);
                          4. The other thing I need to know is what Windows version(s) are involved.

If your cd is a data cd with audio files you would need to use either the File Selector or main dMC interface (or the Window Explorer interface go My Computer, select the drive with the disc, and see what comes up). Audio CD Input is trained only to read audio cd's in regular cd format. If your cd is a data disc cd and dMC does not recognize the files then you need to check your dMC Configuration to make sure you have the codecs installed to read these files. For the AAC files you would need the AAC/MP4 decoder codec. For rax you would need the RealAudio decoder codec (and, as Christina has pointed out, you would need RealPlayer or Real Alternative, you may need to change the file extension and even then it might not work if the files are encrypted). You may need to change your systems file associations as well. In XP you go to your control panel, click on folder options and then select file associations. Make sure you have dMC or dAP as being your designated program for opening aac or rax files.

Now, let's suppose you have a home-made cd in standard cd format which will play in a regular cd player. If this is the case, forget the entire last paragraph. In this case you can use Audio CD Input but the freedb database is NOT gooing to be able to fill in your track information. If the track numbers show up, all is as it should be. If the tracks do not show up click on the Options button on Audio CD Input and make sure you have the correct drive selected. If not, click on the line in the Options window that reads cd drive and select the appropriate drive. Now if this does not help, visit the dMC Audio CD Input Support page here:

and follow the directions for your Windows version.

If these steps in the above 2 paragraphs do not help, please respond to the questions asked in the second paragraph, clarify any issues in items 1 through 4, and tell muswhich advice you tried and what your results were.

Good luck and best wishes,
                          Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• smilinjack
                            • Nov 2004

Thanks Bill,
                            Question 1: The tracks are on the disk with the .aac & .rax format
                            Question 2: Yes, I am trying to convert them to .Mp3 and .Wav so I can
                            play them on an ordinary CD player.
                            Question 3: Nothing shows up. When it was working the track would show up as: "Track1.cda, Track2.cda" etc. I am trying to access through the DB Poweramp Converter. By the way, what does the poweramp converter do?
                            I have that and the DMC Audio Cd Imput downloaded.
                            Question 4: Windows XP

I downloaded all the codes involved in this problem.
                            When I burn files should a different option than Data CD by selected.

Jack

Comment

• Wayne
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Aug 2002

There appears to be some confusion here. If the files were burned to a 'data' CD as .aac and .rax they should appear as <track name>.aac and <track name>.rax respectively.

The format track1.cda, track2.cda etc. will only appear when the disc is an Audio CD. Audio CDs are recognised by CD Audio Input. Data CD must be viewed using the dMC File Selector program or Windows Explorer.

When you examine the CD with windows explorer does it show a list of files?

Wayne
                              Last edited by Wayne; 11-12-2004, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>