title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Wma

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Wma

I tried to copy a CD to WMA format.

I did this in Audio CD Input by clicking Rip with Options and it gives the following

"Unable to create compression CODEC 'Windows Media Audio V9', please check software installation.
    "

Also I have this codec installed too. Someone please help!
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Wma

This error message seems to suggest that the codec was not properly installed.

Proper wma v9 codec installation requires:
    1. You have Windows Media Player v9 installed OR you have downloaded and installed the WMA system files from Codec Central;
    2. You have downloaded and installed the WMA v.9 codec from Codec Central;
    3. Restarting the computer after you have done so.

The system files (if you need to install them) and the wma v.9 codec need to be installed in the proper locations. This should be their default locations UNLESS you did not install dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) in the default location. If dMC is NOT installed in the default location you might be well advised to uninstall dMC and reinstall it in the default location.

Other factors to keep in mind:
    The wma v9 codec will NOT work on a Windows 95 system.
    You may run into particular problems with Windows NT or Windows 98/98SE systems.
    If you have a Windows NT or Windows 98/98SE system then you might want to follow the additional instructions here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/wma9-nt.txt

Unless the ideas in the preceding paragraph apply, I would advise that you uninstall and then reinstall the wma v.9 codec, taking care to restart the computer AFTER installation.

If none of these ideas is helpful, please let us know what version of dMC you are using; what version of Windows Media Player you have installed; and what your operating system is.

Good luck and best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

Exactly the same problem here. Wouldn't mind beeting your running WMP 10? I am. Problem fixed by downloading and installing the WMP 9 codecs from here

Is there going to be a fix for dbpowerAMP to use WMP 10 Codecs?

Many thanks.

Comment

• fozzie
        • Oct 2004

Just tried this. I can now convert .wav to .wma using CBR & VBR with the wmp 9.1 codec but not if 2 pass is selected. I'm also using WMP 10.

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

Spoon has reported that he has started working on a wma v10 codec.
          While not all users who have switched to wmp v10 have reported problems with the wma v9 codec with dMC a number of users have reported difficulties. Most seem to repport that these difficulties have gone away after some intervention, but the nterventions have varied as have the reported problems.
          Uninstalling and reinstalling the wma v9 codec is probably worthwhile and it makes sense to me to try installing the wma v9 system files (before reinstalling the wma v9 codec). What I don't know for sure is whether this might create a potential problem for Windows Media Player v10 (which I don't use WMP much anyway would not bother me).

But rather than assuming that the original poster is running wmp 10, it makes sense to start with the basics. In addition, this is a different error message or error experience than other WMP v10 users have reported. It MIGHT be the problem but I like to start with the basics.

Comment

• fozzie
            • Oct 2004

Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried re-installing the WMF 9 system files followed by the WMA 9 codec and still get the same problem. If I try 2 pass, all I get is a 5k .wma (regardless of source). Anything else you can suggest I try?

Thanks.

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

You DID reboot after installing the system file and wma v9 codec did you not?
              If not, try that.

You might try seeing if you can use the 2 Pass with one of the A/V settings available (you will find these on the menu as settings for both regular wma and for wma pro).
              This has been helpful for some users although the 2 Pass issue has not, I nelieve been reported before.

Best wishes,
              Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• fozzie
                • Oct 2004

Thanks Bill. I did reboot, yes. I've just done some more testing and it seems the 2 pass issue was down to the source file audio format. It was a 16kHz, 1ch, 8bit file. The 3 WMA 9.1 codecs were quite happy to convert it using single pass CBR and VBR, but not 2 pass VBR. When I converted the source to 2ch, I could use 2 pass VBR with the 9.1 codec.
                Last edited by fozzie; 10-10-2004, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>