title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Bug converting MP3 48khz to WMA9 44khz

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • christh21

Bug converting MP3 48khz to WMA9 44khz

I used the DMC File Manager to convert a bunch of albums in MP3 to WMA9 2-pass 64kbps 44khz. Most of the MP3s were 44khz, but some were 48khz. During conversion, dMC didn't have any issues converting the files (no error messages), but when I looked at the resulting WMA files, the 48khz files were only 2409 bytes, and only contained a WMA header with "1-pass CBR" and no audio data. Once I realized these were 48hkz files, I changed the WMA9 setting to 2-pass 64kpbs 48khz and the conversion worked.

I consider this a bug because dMC claimed the conversion was successful when it wasn't. In the MP3 encoder, dMC will convert the incoming signal to 44khz or whichever you select, but that doesn't occur in WMA. dMC should either skip over files that have mis-matching sampling rates, or should convert them on the fly before sending the audio to the encoder.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Bug converting MP3 48khz to WMA9 44khz

Point taken about it would be nice if dMC would tell you about conversions that don't really work.
    On the other hand, I do wonder if you had Professional Frequency Conversion enabled (you can check its status and enable/disable it from the dMC Configuration window). This feature facilitates conversions involving a change in frequency. It slows down conversions when you don't need it but it does greatly facilitate conversions between different frequencies. The default setting is "off".
    Even without Professional Frequency Conversion dMC will attempt to convert the audio on the fly. When it fails at this it will often generate an error message rather than resulting in the situation you describe (although this has happened to others, myself included).
    Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

Working...

]]>