title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

New Ogg Codec wont encode

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

New Ogg Codec wont encode

I recently downloaded and installed the new ogg vorbis codec and found that it wont convert to any frequency other than 44kh. the older version used to but the new one wont. is this a bug or something? it pisses me off cuz dbpoweramp worked soo well with the old ogg codec and now that it doesnt and i dont have an older version then dbpoweramp is useless to me and i have to convert the file i want to wav and then convert to ogg useing a different encoder. im surprised that a buggy codec would be posted.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: New Ogg Codec wont encode

Which new Ogg codec are you talking about?
    I do not have this issue with the r11.1 codec from Codec Central (I can choose among a variety of frequencies and it works) and, as I do not have a P4 processor, I am not able to check out whether there might be a problem there. I am not sure that either of these are particularly new.
    If you first convert your files to wav in the frequency you want and then to Ogg in that frequency, will it work? When you installed the new Ogg codec did you allow the install routine to uninstall the old codec? Can you give some specifics about which version of dMC you are using and what type of system you have and your hardware basics (processor, speed, ram)?

Comment

• Unregistered

the codec im talking about is at http://dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-ogg.htm and release 11.1. I had the previous version of the ogg codec and it worked perfectly. The new codec when i went to install, i let it uninstall the old codec. as for the dmc, i had the latest stable version. when i convert to wav, i use another program to convert to wav and then winlame to convert from wav to ogg and it works to get it to the frequency and bitrate i need.

The error I get when trying to encode says "The CODEC required to compress 'song location' could not be opened."
      where 'song location' is the location of the song.

i just tried the beta version to and it doesnt encode either.

system specs:
      533Mhz AMD K6 3D NOW
      120MB PC100 RAM
      100MHz bus
      Windows 2000pro
      Soundblaster 16 PCI 4 channel

Comment

• Unregistered

UPDATE:

well i found an older version of DMC (rc10) and installed it and the ogg codec works fine. dont know why it started working with the old version of DMC.

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Unregistered
          the codec im talking about is at http://dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-ogg.htm and release 11.1. I had the previous version of the ogg codec and it worked perfectly. The new codec when i went to install, i let it uninstall the old codec. as for the dmc, i had the latest stable version. when i convert to wav, i use another program to convert to wav and then winlame to convert from wav to ogg and it works to get it to the frequency and bitrate i need.

The error I get when trying to encode says "The CODEC required to compress 'song location' could not be opened."
          where 'song location' is the location of the song.

i just tried the beta version to and it doesnt encode either.

system specs:
          533Mhz AMD K6 3D NOW
          120MB PC100 RAM
          100MHz bus
          Windows 2000pro
          Soundblaster 16 PCI 4 channel
          I haven't tried the CLI version, but the other codec for OGG works ok for me. It can convert a wav or a wma to ogg, with CBR, VBR and ABR, stereo, mono, channels as source, several frequencies from 8000Hz to 48000 Hz. I haven't tried other input file types though. Perhaps the problem is with the input file you're trying to convert. What are it's specs? And if that file is not a wav, do you also have the codec to decode it?

And also, did you install the OGG codec to the same exact folder as dMC and all its other components (codecs included)?

Comment

• Unregistered

well, when i use rc10 dmc then it works fine. and i tried like 50 different music files. it may be a clash with the rc10.1 and the new ogg codec. either way i want to point out that it seems the new ogg codec sounds worse than the old ogg codec.

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

Can you tell us the settings (codec, bitrate, frequency, channels) of both the Ogg files you are trying to create and the files you are trying to convert?
              And do you have professional frequency conversion enabled in your dMC Configuration?

Comment

• Unregistered

the diff between the setup when it didnt work and the setup when it did work was:

the unworking setup:
                dmc rc 10.1 (professional frequency conversion off)
                ogg codec 11.1
                trying to convert any 128k 44khz mp3 file to any ogg file other than 44khz

the now working setup:
                dmc rc 10 (professional frequency conversion on)
                ogg codec 11.1
                able to convert from any format to any format but quality seems worse than older ogg codec

Comment

• Unregistered

btw, the resulting ogg song i was aiming for is:

22khz frequency
                  24-32k (ends up quality 0)

which is good for dialup streaming.

if you go to http://mot-studios.co.nr/tunes.htm then you can hear how songs converted with the old codec sound. i dont have the new songs converted by the new codec up because of the lack of low bitrate quality that once was.

Comment

• xoas
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2002

I will check this out when I get home.
                    Have you tried converting with Professional Frequency Conversion enabled with the new codec? This feature is especially designed to assist with conversions which involve a change of frequency (as yours does) but the default setting is "off" since the vast majority of conversions do not involve this change and it does slow down regular conversions. You enable/disable professional frequency conversion from dMC Configuration.
                    Please let me know if you get a chance to try this as to whether it makes a difference or not.
                    Best wishes,
                    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Shouldn't be any real difference between 10.1 and 10 as far as ogg is concerned.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xoas
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2002

I tried to check out your link but I keep getting an error message. Perhaps I need an Ogg plug-in for WMP but I don't really want to deal with WMP deciding it is going to play all my Ogg files.
                        I did try the conversion you suggested. Had to settle for 24khz frequency (22khz isn't an option, I did do a conversion to 16khz yesterday but that was at a higher bitrate. Also set bitrate at -.1 quality which lists as 48 kbs vbr but comes out with an ABR of about 30 kbs. Files didn't sound bad as long as professional frequency conversion is enabled.
                        I'll try a bit more to see if I can work out a way to access one of your tunes for comparison. You don't happen to know what your prior version of the Ogg codec was, or when you might have downloaded it?

Comment

• Unregistered

well ive done a lot since my last post and im not for sure what all i done. i do know some of the time the ogg codec wouldnt work and others it would. ive tried the professional frequency conversion thing, the ogg still sounds worse than the old version i had and seems pickyer. the old version i had i downloaded from the codec central and cant remember the version. i got it awhile back, maybe a few months or more.

Comment

• xoas
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2002

The reason I ask is that there has not been an update of the Ogg codec since January (when the current version, 11.1 was released). Version 11 was released in December. The change betwen the two versions does not appear to have involved changes that would have an adverse affect on your type of conversion. The changes from release 10 to release 11 was described as a significant upgrade in terms of the acoustics (aimed at improving performance of quiet sections). It might be possible that those changes might have had a negative effect on the types of conversion you are doing. On the other hand, if your previous version was downloaded just a few months ago, then it is unlikely that you have a new Ogg codec and I would wonder if there have been other changes (in your computer, soundcard, speaker system/headphones, or the type of music you are listening to) that might contribute to the differences you are linking to the codec.
                            When you say that the "new" seems "pickier", can you tell me a bit more about what you mean by that?
                            And if you could try keeping track of the things that are and are not working, that would be helpful.
                            Best wishes,
                            Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

Working...

]]>