title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

R/Ram to MP3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ricco
    • Sep 2004

R/Ram to MP3

Hi everyone.

Ive been using Power Amp for a while to convert .ogg and M4A files to MP3 without any problems at all (excellent piece of software!).

I've got dB Power Amp 10, downloaded and installed the ra (Real Media) codec for DBP and also installed a Real Player.

I can play the ram file I have on my PC OK, but every time I right click on that file I do not have the option to select 'Convert To...'

Can any one tell me what I am doing wrong please??

Here is what I am using:

Db Power Amp 10.0
    Real Audio [Formats .ra, .ram, .rm] [from Codec Section of this site]
    Real Player v10.0

Any help would be appreciated.

Ricco
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: R/Ram to MP3

Originally posted by ricco
    Hi everyone.

Ive been using Power Amp for a while to convert .ogg and M4A files to MP3 without any problems at all (excellent piece of software!).

I've got dB Power Amp 10, downloaded and installed the ra (Real Media) codec for DBP and also installed a Real Player.

I can play the ram file I have on my PC OK, but every time I right click on that file I do not have the option to select 'Convert To...'

Can any one tell me what I am doing wrong please??

Here is what I am using:

Db Power Amp 10.0
    Real Audio [Formats .ra, .ram, .rm] [from Codec Section of this site]
    Real Player v10.0

Any help would be appreciated.

Ricco
    .ram is a meta file, not the actual audio file itself. See this thread in FAQ: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4992

Comment

• ricco
      • Sep 2004

Thanks for the quick reply.

I agree some of the real files are only bytes big and do link to a stream, but a couple I have are like 7MB big for say a DJ set.

Just reading your post and is very helpful.

thanks

Comment

• ricco
        • Sep 2004

Right, sorry to post again.

I've just downloaded a 16.7MB rm file and can play it through Real Player.

I have tried opening it (notepad) and just get a load of junk (no http links), so I beleive I have the source of the audio rather than a link to a streamed server.

I also have the right codec's for Power Amp, but I still can't right click - Convert to...

The file extension is rm not ram - does this make a difference?

Also would I have to use the dMC Auxiliary Input codec's in addition to rm codec?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks a lot - sorry for being a dumb newbie!!
        Last edited by ricco; 09-28-2004, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Wayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Aug 2002

There are two real audio codecs, one for decoding and another for encoding. Which did you install?

Trying running the dMC Configuration program and looking at the various codecs you have installed. Does it list the real media codec?

Wayne

Comment

• ricco
            • Sep 2004

Re: Rm/Ram to MP3

In Installed Input Decoder (Read) I have the usual ones I use (Ogg ..etc.) and Real Audio Input (ra;rm;ram)

In Installed Compressio Codec (Write) I DO NOT have a Real Audio Codec.

Saying that I would assume logically speaking all I would need is the Read codec and the write codec would be what format I want to convert the audio file to .eg. MP3.

Can you please tell me if I don't have the right Codec.

Any other information you need please let me know.

Thanks a lot
            Last edited by ricco; 09-28-2004, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• Razgo
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

have you tried the latest dmc ? http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2261

and is the "convert to" missing when converting for any other files?

Comment

• ricco
                • Sep 2004

OK,

This is weird,

Now I have the 'Convert to' option on my right click, but the time just counts up and the prgress bar stays on 0%.

If I go back to my directory it has created an MP3 file and the file size is growing.

Is this part of the conversion process?

In response to which version I have 10.1. Other files give me the Convert to, such as .ogg and M4A.

It is now working (I think) can you comment on the above behaviour if this is OK.

Thanks.

Comment

• Razgo
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

i'm 99% sure that the 0% is normal. and the conversion should take no longer than the length of the song. so if it is a 5 minute song then it should take that long to convert. (i think).

Comment

• ricco
                    • Sep 2004

Cheers Razgo/Bill,

Im fairly confident it is encoding and working, I'll have to check it when it is finished! I did a copy of the MP3 in progress and opened it and it did play, so I reckon it will work.

Bill, I installed Real Player first.

I should have used a smaller song (currently converting a 45 min set!)

Thanks for all your speedy responses and help, looks like it was bloody user error all along!! Doh!

I think my PC just needed a reboot for some effects to take effect, the Convert To menu appeared a little while ago.

I'll let you know if it is successful!

By the way, do you think it is worth downloading the DBPA 11 Beta?

Does it convert any quicker for example?

Cheers
                    Last edited by ricco; 09-28-2004, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

Real Media is always converted in real time - i.e. the time it takes to convert it is the time it takes to play it. No faster. Yet.

As you've already noticed, the .ram indication for the Real Media codec is wrong. It cannot decode a .ram file, as that is the meta file that includes the address of the .rm file which is what can be decoded by that codec. It can also incluse several .rm files such as to constitute a playlist.

Comment

• ricco
                        • Sep 2004

Thanks everyone.

all working.

Im downloading in .rm format and the conversion (to MP3) is working fine.

Comment

Working...

]]>