title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

File selector: some annoying things

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Splinty
    • Jun 2004

File selector: some annoying things

Hi Spoon and guys.
    It would make me happy :D if You add a following possibilities into FileSelector

1. Show file extension please please please please please please !!!
    2. Show in file browser standart OS places like My Documents, My Music.
    Last edited by Splinty; 09-20-2004, 07:46 PM.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: File selector: some annoying things

For 1, File Selector already displays file types through icons, so it is not clear what you are asking. File Selector also allows you to view only files of one or more file types (through the button that reads "Converting").

For 2, the browser map does NOT allow you to start at the Desktop level. It might be a bit more convenient if it did. You CAN navigate to those sites by going to Documents and Settings, All Users, Documents, My Music.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Splinty
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by xoas
      For 1, File Selector already displays file types through icons, so it is not clear what you are asking. File Selector also allows you to view only files of one or more file types (through the button that reads "Converting").
      Well, it looks little non standart, but works

For 2, the browser map does NOT allow you to start at the Desktop level. It might be a bit more convenient if it did. You CAN navigate to those sites by going to Documents and Settings, All Users, Documents, My Music.
      It's no suitable et all. From time to time accessing My Documents is very good thing.
      Last edited by Splinty; 09-21-2004, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

I never said it was perfect and I do not mean to disrespect your ideas.
        I was only making sure you were aware of what resources ARE available through File Selector along the lines of your suggestions.

I do wonder about what you see as being the difference between showing file extensions as file extensions (which you would like to see) as opposed to seeing file extensions represented as icons (which File Selector already does).
        But if you are talking about sorting by File Extension then you are saying you would like File Selector to remember prior settings (because, as you suggest, if you have a number of different codecs installed this can be a cumbersome).

Again, when I spoke about not being able to access the desktop level through the File Selector browser I am not defending that state of affairs, I am only confirming that you cannot do this (which you already knew). And yes, it would ne nicer if File Selector remembered say the last used settings (as is the case with dMC, for example).

In any case, your ideas are well taken and perhaps Spoon (the person responsible for these programs) might be able to act on these ideas to help make dMC even better.

Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Splinty
          • Jun 2004

Thanks a lot Bil, fora answersl. Don't beat me, i'm just a dummy :D
          Moreover i just got info (beta section, Spoon's words about MP3 encoding) that Converter starts essentially working for money so... :(

Comment

• Splinty
            • Jun 2004

Thanks a lot Bil, for answers. Don't beat me, i'm just a dummy :D
            Moreover i just got info (beta section, Spoon's words about MP3 encoding) that Converter starts essentially working for money so... :(

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

Moreover i just got info (beta section, Spoon's words about MP3 encoding) that Converter starts essentially working for money so...
              Just to clarify (for those unfamiliar with this situation):
              Starting with the current beta version of dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC), the mp3 codec will only be available as a part of a revised Power Pack (you will have a free trial period to check this out). The basic part of dMC will remain free, as will the rest of the codecs. This situation has arisen because the license holders for mp3 technology have elected to start charging for the use of mp3 technology. If you look around, you may notice that this same change is taking place with other digital audio programs not just with dMC and dAP.
              In addition, not only will the basic portion of dMC remain free, there is no pressure on anyone to move from the dMC r10.1 release (although this will stop being offered in the near future). Eventually, you may well find it necessary to upgrade as other new refinements take place with dMC.
              As it has been suggested in another post, the way to signal your discontent with this state of affairs is to stop using mp3 altogether. But for those of us who have invested in mp3 players and such not, that may not be an attractive possibility, I know.

Best wishes,
              Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

Working...

]]>