title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Midi to Wav

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Midi ti Wav

Originally posted by savagcl
    An update.

If you leave the recording device set to "What U Hear" (or stereo mix) and
    then in the converter, select mp3 instead of wave, it will work and you get
    a mp3 output.

To think, i spent most of yesterday going from midi to wav then to mp3...
    Another lesson...

:blush:
    savagcl
    LOL! I recommend going to wav first because that is the highest quality audio file you will get. After that you can just convert it easily and fast to any other format, using dMC, not having to go through Auxiliary Input again.

Imagine sitting through maybe a 15 minute piece being recorded through dMC Auxiliary Input straight to some compressed format only to realize after that that this format really loses a lot of the quality, and then you have to do it again for yet another compressed format..... When recording to wav, that's as good as it will be.

Comment

• savagcl
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Aug 2004

Good Morning Christina,

I just tried a couple (midi>mp3) and i really cant tell the difference between
      going from midi>wav>mp3 or straight midi>mp3. If i'm losing something,
      my ears cant tell the difference....

thanks,
      savagcl
      (clif)

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

There should not be a difference since midi is converted to wav by Aux. Input beofre it is converted to mp3. By converting in 2 steps (midi>wav>mp3) rather than trying to record midi>mp3 in one step (for you, still 2 steps for the program) you have two advantages. The first is that you have the lovely wav file as a lossless version of your recording (which may not matter to you). The other advantage is that by converting to wav first you are reducing the risk of problems that might arise in the recording of tracks as Aux input is trying to record track 2 to wav while converting track 1 from wav to mp3. Many times this may go without a hitch but not always, especially if you are using dsp effects as well. So your best bet for a good quality result is to record midi to wav and later convert the wav file to mp3.

Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• savagcl
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Aug 2004

It must have something to do with computing power.
          I have a fast system with 2 cpu's (3.0GHtz) 800 fsb, a SATA HD and a gig
          of very fast memory.

So far i have converted 56 midi's straight to mp3 and no problems (he says
          as he crosses his fingers)....

savagcl

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by savagcl
            It must have something to do with computing power.
            I have a fast system with 2 cpu's (3.0GHtz) 800 fsb, a SATA HD and a gig
            of very fast memory.

So far i have converted 56 midi's straight to mp3 and no problems (he says
            as he crosses his fingers)....

savagcl
            Oh, goody! May I send you some of mine to convert without a hitch like that then ? :D

But actually I want them to be converted to wav in order to burn to cd under the best quality possible, or to use as soundtrack on a video (ideally a wav is used there), or to transfer to the Roland Boss recording console as instrumental tracks in preparation for recording vocals or other instruments as needed. I also often compress to different bit rates for different purposes (lo-fi web streaming, hi-fi web streaming, different players, etc). It really always depends on the specific needs everyone has.

Comment

• savagcl
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Aug 2004

You got to be kidding, Christine.

I would be the last person to give me anything to do with this stuff!!
              Whatever you said above, I understand the words (well, I've heard them
              before) but thats about it. :smile: :smile:

thanks, but i make more than enough errors, mistakes, boo-boos, and
              screw-ups all by myself. :cry: :smile:

savagcl

Comment

• kanotic
                • Sep 2004

Thanks Xoas...I went there first..but I must have a newer version than what he had...I couldn't find any of those options he had listed....any other suggestions...?

Comment

• xoas
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2002

Kanotic-
                  With Auxilary Input click on the Options button and then click on the button that says Input Source. This button should be present at least through Version 4 of Aux Input.
                  A window should open up which will show the Input Sources you currently have available (enabled) via your soundcard.
                  If "Stereo Mix" is not shown, click on the Options button and Click on Properties. This will show all the available inputs from your soundcard. Enable Stereo Mix, turn off your other inputs, click on OK. You should then be in business.
                  Let me know if these options do not appear as described.
                  Best wishes,
                  Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Picture of what it might all be looking like. For different sound cards it may be different though.

Comment

• xoas
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2002

Niiiiice graphic!!!
                      I will mention I noticed that my Recording Control Window did not initially display all of my inputs, only ones I had already enabled. That's why I added the part about checking Options>Properties since Kanotic might not initially see Stereo Mix as an Input Option.
                      Best wishes,
                      Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by xoas
                        Niiiiice graphic!!!
                        I will mention I noticed that my Recording Control Window did not initially display all of my inputs, only ones I had already enabled. That's why I added the part about checking Options>Properties since Kanotic might not initially see Stereo Mix as an Input Option.
                        Best wishes,
                        Bill Mikkelsen
                        True, I too forgot that many moons ago I enabled all of the possible inputs so that I'll never have to wonder about them again Of course I still go through the options every time just in case there's some msytery control I may have forgotten about. Sort of like driving back home from half-way down the block to check that the garage door is closed. :p

Comment

• kanotic
                          • Sep 2004

Hi guys...been busy lately..my controls for Recording & Playback don't have "Stero MIx" as an option...I have "Wave MIx"...so I enabled that & I still get that same error message:The file type '.mid' does not stream audio data and cannot be converted. I tried converting the Midi file to MP3 & WMA & still no luck...any other suggestions guys...thanks

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by kanotic
                            Hi guys...been busy lately..my controls for Recording & Playback don't have "Stero MIx" as an option...I have "Wave MIx"...so I enabled that & I still get that same error message:The file type '.mid' does not stream audio data and cannot be converted. I tried converting the Midi file to MP3 & WMA & still no luck...any other suggestions guys...thanks
                            Kanotic, you haven't read this thread carefully: you cannot convert a midi file. You record it to wav or mp3 or whatever using dMC Auxiliary Input. dMC Auxiliary Input takes its audio input from the sound card, which is why you must inform it of the source by setting the recording controls on Stereo mix. If you haven't found this yet, right-click on your volume control icon in the task bar (the bullhorn thing), select Open Volume Controls, then Options > Properties> Recording. There you see a list of all possible controls. Make sure all are selected at that point so they will be displayed later on. Once you click on OK, it will show you all those input sources and you should see Stereo Mix there. Disable all other and enable that one. If you don't see that, please tell us what exactly you do see. Just make sure you're looking at the Recording options, not the Playback options.

Concerning the method of recording through dMC Auxiliary Input, please refer to the FAQ http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2213 or http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5362 for something more general.

Comment

• Razgo
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

awave studio does a pretty good job on coverting midi to wav. http://www.fmjsoft.com/
                              just depends on how complex the midi is.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Razgo
                                awave studio does a pretty good job on coverting midi to wav. http://www.fmjsoft.com/
                                just depends on how complex the midi is.
                                So do most midi composition programs, like Anvil Studio, Real Producer deLuxe and numerous others. But they still do it pretty much the same way: they play the midi file and record it from there as a wav file, but some may do it quietly. It may be easier to handle since you don't have to set all sorts of parameters, but on the other hand this is all that those programs can do in that respect.

Comment

Working...

]]>