title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

.RAX to MP3 conversion.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Linuxrising
    • Aug 2004

.RAX to MP3 conversion.

Thanks Christina S. for the hint on the conversion of Real Player .rax files.
    When you can play an audio file in a player on your pc but you cannot convert it to another format, there are 2 possible explanations and solutions for that: 1) You do not have the proper codecs for the file Using the file extension as a guide, go to Codec Central (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm) and download

Seems it can be a little more simple than we thought, and can all be done in bulk without doing it one file at a time thru dBAux input.

Burn the .rax files from Real Player onto a CD/RW and then grab all the audio off of the CD itself in WAV format. Then from there you just encode into MP3.

I didn't use dBpowerAMP MC but I"m sure it will work as well as the program I used.

Repeat if you have a lot of these. I downloaded about 30 of them at .49 cents.
    Now they are all MP3's. Just like I like them. Small and easily converted to something else.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I know some people have asked me about converting the files format.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: .RAX to MP3 conversion.

Well, I think that was possible because those .rax files were probably not encrypted. Otherwise a simple renaming of their extension to .rm or .ra would have permitted dMC to convert them all at once (though still in real time).

But, in the end, it's whatever works for everybody anyway.

Comment

• Linuxrising
      • Aug 2004

I just replied on the other thread Christina.

Comment

• Dr. Chuck
        • Dec 2004

Christina...

"I prefer to capture to wav first and convert later"... Why capture to wav first??

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Chuck
          Christina...

"I prefer to capture to wav first and convert later"... Why capture to wav first??
          The wav is the best quality file you'll have of that recording. If you capture directly to compressed formats, especially lossy ones, you may find the quality not so good depending on the settings and degree of compression, and you'll just have to do it all again while finding the best settings - thsi cna take long as it is done in real time plus fiddling-with-settings time . If you've already got your standard, cd quality wav, you can experiment with compressing it under all sorts of different settings very easily and not lose that originally captured wav.

Comment

• Dr. Chuck
            • Dec 2004

Very good point! Thanks...

Comment

• robr
              • Dec 2004

I am having the same problem, converting .rax to aac. I have tried the suggestion by Christina, renaming the .rax files to .ra. When I open the file through the converter, the status bar comes up but it stays at 0%. I think I am in the same boat as Chuck. I have about 30 .rax files when they were selling them at .49. I'd like to make them available in itunes and so am in need for this conversion.

Chuck, the burning to cd idea is promising, although i'd prefer to do the straight conversion through dppower. However, if the cd route is the only option, I'm curious to know if that keeps the file information? Or do you have to go and insert all of the artist, title, album, etc. info?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by robr
                I am having the same problem, converting .rax to aac. I have tried the suggestion by Christina, renaming the .rax files to .ra. When I open the file through the converter, the status bar comes up but it stays at 0%. I think I am in the same boat as Chuck. I have about 30 .rax files when they were selling them at .49. I'd like to make them available in itunes and so am in need for this conversion.

Chuck, the burning to cd idea is promising, although i'd prefer to do the straight conversion through dppower. However, if the cd route is the only option, I'm curious to know if that keeps the file information? Or do you have to go and insert all of the artist, title, album, etc. info?
                There will not be any artist or any other information when you burn an audio cd, unfortunately. So subsequent ripping will result is files called Track01 ....etc.

Real Media converts in real time, with no indication of progress until it's finished, for each file. If it takes longer than the duration of a song plus a second or so, there's something wrong with the conversion.

Comment

Working...

]]>