title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MP3 to WMA loses CD cover picture

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ray

MP3 to WMA loses CD cover picture

I converted MP3's to WMA and noticed that it will not keep the picture of the CD cover which makes it kind of frustrating to do all that over. Any reason why it's losing the picture?
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: MP3 to WMA loses CD cover picture

Originally posted by Ray
    I converted MP3's to WMA and noticed that it will not keep the picture of the CD cover which makes it kind of frustrating to do all that over. Any reason why it's losing the picture?
    What player are you using?

I don't think the picture is part of the audio file as such. it may be that some information is kept in the tag and I think this may be used by the player to get the more detailed information from the internet database of artists and albums. It may be that the wma tags are not the same as the mp3 tags.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 07-19-2004, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Ray

I am using Windows Media Player 9 and when I used dB power AMP 10, I just downloaded, it loses this grahic picture. I've always used Music Match 7.5. Now when windows media player plays the MP3's, I created in MusicMatch, the CD picture cover stays intact. Perhaps I'm better off getting a plug in for Windows media player 9. Windows Media Player, apparently will not burn the MP3's to audio.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Ray
        I am using Windows Media Player 9 and when I used dB power AMP 10, I just downloaded, it loses this grahic picture. I've always used Music Match 7.5. Now when windows media player plays the MP3's, I created in MusicMatch, the CD picture cover stays intact. Perhaps I'm better off getting a plug in for Windows media player 9. Windows Media Player, apparently will not burn the MP3's to audio.
        WMP documentation says that if the mp3 was created from a cd (in WMP) the artwork, if available, is retained with the mp3 file.

The one mp3 file that I own that actually has a picture displayed in WMP, has no additional information on the artist available anyway.

I'd have to see if original cd's that I have can get ripped by WMP to wma files and still retain the artwork as well. The trouble is that most of my cd's don't have any artwork available.

Indeed, upon conversion to wma of any kind that picture is lost.

What I'd like to test is with an original cd that has artwork available for display, if ripping it to wma (by either WMP or dMC) will preserve that artwork. Now I've got to find a cd with artwork

Sorry, Ray, I hope somebody else has better knowledge of this subject than myself.

Comment

• Wayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Aug 2002

Ray,

Windows Media Player will allow you to burn MP3 to CD, however to rip CD tracks to MP3 (rather than wma) requires a plugin. I invested in such a plugin before I discovered dMC/dAP and I haven't used it for some time. I can not remember it ever storing art work within the created audio files but WMP did seem to store the album cover (I assume) within its own database.

Wayne

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

My programs will not preserve images from any format >> any format. Sorry.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RossRoy
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2003

What happens on this is Music Match does store the album image whithin the MP3 file, which is non-standard and most program won't retain it when transcoding (not mentioning that it makes the file larger for no particular reason, especially when every track of an album has a copy of the cover image whithin itself).

Whereas WIndows Media Player assumes that you keep your music in seperate folders by albums and will then look for a specific JPG file (namely Folder.JPG and AlbumArtSmall.JPG) inside the folder from which you are playing said MP3 and display it as album cover art.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by RossRoy
                What happens on this is Music Match does store the album image whithin the MP3 file, which is non-standard and most program won't retain it when transcoding (not mentioning that it makes the file larger for no particular reason, especially when every track of an album has a copy of the cover image whithin itself).

Whereas WIndows Media Player assumes that you keep your music in seperate folders by albums and will then look for a specific JPG file (namely Folder.JPG and AlbumArtSmall.JPG) inside the folder from which you are playing said MP3 and display it as album cover art.
                Well, it doesn't appear like WMP is looking for any such jpg file, because I don't have any by those names and yet I have one mp3 file that sports the artwork when played through WMP.

Comment

• RossRoy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                  Well, it doesn't appear like WMP is looking for any such jpg file, because I don't have any by those names and yet I have one mp3 file that sports the artwork when played through WMP.
                  Well I guess it is able to read the covert art from the MP3, that I don't know and have no way of testing it. But, when you rip a CD in Windows Media Player to WMA (not sure for MP3, again, can't test it), the JPG files are created and are the ones read to display the art work.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by RossRoy
                    Well I guess it is able to read the covert art from the MP3, that I don't know and have no way of testing it. But, when you rip a CD in Windows Media Player to WMA (not sure for MP3, again, can't test it), the JPG files are created and are the ones read to display the art work.
                    LOL, I can't test that either as I have no cd's with artwork built in that I know of. We'll just have to accept that mp3 may have it and wma may not.

Incidentally I was playing that same mp3 through the SoundClick Player and it showed no artwork, unlike WMP. When I use SoundClick often to play some mp3 files from the www.soundclick.com site (streamed) artwork is often shown. I think mayby that streams through a .smil file from the web site which will contain all this extra information.

Comment

• Ray

I don't know if any CD actually has the CD cover embedded in it. Of course, you can acquire the CD cover once you have converted it to WMA. It appears to even put a sharper picture than MusicMatch. MusicMatch will usually automatically do that. WMP will see the graphic file in MP3's with no problem. Of course, we are reluctant to even use WMA. One thing, about burning MP3's to Audio CD in WMP, I have not had success. It seems that it will not do it. Someone stated that you can. I've wasted 2 CDR already.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Ray
                        I don't know if any CD actually has the CD cover embedded in it. Of course, you can acquire the CD cover once you have converted it to WMA. It appears to even put a sharper picture than MusicMatch. MusicMatch will usually automatically do that. WMP will see the graphic file in MP3's with no problem. Of course, we are reluctant to even use WMA. One thing, about burning MP3's to Audio CD in WMP, I have not had success. It seems that it will not do it. Someone stated that you can. I've wasted 2 CDR already.
                        I haven't really tried to burn with WMP, since that option says it requires Roxio cd burning software which I don't have nor do I intend to get. I've only used Nero until now and I'm waiting for the next opportunity to use dMC CD Writer.

If there were a way to store artwork on an audio cd I'd really like to know about it. I already make cd cover and label artwork, why not something for the cd itself?

Comment

• Wayne
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Aug 2002

If I remember correctly I think that you find that if you are online when you run WMP it will attempt to download information regarding any CDs you have played and/or ripped since last you were online. This information is held within WMP's own database.

I have a question for Ray. What operating system are you using? I'm sorry that you have created some duff CDs. I must admit it has been quite a while since I last created a CD via WMP and I wouldn't touch a wma file with a barge pole. When I get the time I'll have a play using a CDRW and let you know how I get on.

Wayne

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Wayne
                            If I remember correctly I think that you find that if you are online when you run WMP it will attempt to download information regarding any CDs you have played and/or ripped since last you were online. This information is held within WMP's own database.
                            Wayne
                            I think you're referring to Freedb information. I am not sure this is in fact where the cd artwork will be stored and retrieved from. I have an mp3 file that has art work showing when played in WMP, and I didn't create that mp3 myself from a Cd ever played on my pc.

Comment

• Ray

Wayne. I use XP pro. I'm actually helping someone do a reinstall with Windows XP pro. They originally had Windows ME. I thought maybe I would make things simple for them but nothing seems to be simple. These programs all try to dominate. I thought I would see what Windows Media Player 9 can do. I've always used MusicMatch and have it found to reliably create Audio CD's from MP3's; even over Nero and CD Creator. I have never tried using WMA files but it's suppose to be able to handle it in version 7.5 and up. I favor MusicMatch over other programs. I keep trying to find some specs on WMP that says it burns MP3 to Audio. It does go through the motion. I slowed it down considerly the second time. I didn't just try WMA files, as most are MP3, and I not going to convert them.

Comment

Working...

]]>