title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

PerfectTunes AR results affected by metadata ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FrancescoT
    • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Spoon
    It looks like the checking backwards against the different pressings did not happen for what ever reason, perhaps because of the frame re-rips
    Sorry, just to be clear. Is dBp the one missing that backward checking? Does that mean that (at least in this case and possibly in general) one should trust PerfectTunes rather than dBp? In any case, if you're going to look into these issues, I'm ready to help you running tests with my CDs.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

A positive match is impossible without the correct data. dBpoweramp was not able to lookup for that last track across the different pressings, it should be able to so we are investigating why it did not.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• FrancescoT
        • Mar 2024

I would like now to go back to the original title of this thread. I keep each ripped CD of mine in a separate subdirectory, and I have the "Album matching grouped by folder" option checked in PT, and the "Use AccurateRip results" unchecked. It now happens that if to each directory there also correspond a unique Album tag of the contained files, then PT happily returns a positive and accurate match for that CD, while if -- for obvious cataloging reasons very common in classical music -- I split the files of a folder into two or more different Album tags, then FOR EACH ALBUM (not CD) PT returns a "Cannot check: incomplete album" verdict. So it appears that at least the Album tag does influence PT's AR results, which refer to Albums tags and not to individual physical rips. I haven't seen any indication of this in the documentation, and I find it wrong that this should be the correct AR lookup interpretation.

Edit: the same happens if I uncheck the "Album matching grouped by folder" option.
        Last edited by FrancescoT; 04-24-2024, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Either all and only all the tracks of the disc have to be in the same folder, or the album name has to be identical.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• FrancescoT
            • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Spoon
            Either all and only all the tracks of the disc have to be in the same folder, or the album name has to be identical.
            That's what I wrote: I have all tracks of a physical CD in the same folder -- and only those.

Comment

• FrancescoT
              • Mar 2024

Here's a link to an example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ze3...usp=share_link

Comment

• simbun
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2021

Originally posted by FrancescoT
                I would like now to go back to the original title of this thread. I keep each ripped CD of mine in a separate subdirectory, and I have the "Album matching grouped by folder" option checked in PT, and the "Use AccurateRip results" unchecked.
                If you have album, discnumber and tracknumber correctly tagged, it appears that PerfectTunes does a good job in identifying individual discs and verifying them with AccurateRip, even across folders if 'Album Matching Grouped by Folder' is disabled.

while if -- for obvious cataloging reasons very common in classical music -- I split the files of a folder into two or more different Album tags, then FOR EACH ALBUM (not CD) PT returns a "Cannot check: incomplete album" verdict.
                Even with 'Album Matching Grouped by Folder' enabled, it looks like PerfectTunes still groups by the album tag, so if you've split a disc into multiple albums then it'll fail. It seems this option just stops PerfectTunes from attempting to merge across folders to make complete discs (whether that's by design I don't know).

Comment

• FrancescoT
                  • Mar 2024

Originally posted by simbun
                  If you have album, discnumber and tracknumber correctly tagged, it appears that PerfectTunes does a good job in identifying individual discs and verifying them with AccurateRip, even across folders if 'Album Matching Grouped by Folder' is disabled.

Even with 'Album Matching Grouped by Folder' enabled, it looks like PerfectTunes still groups by the album tag, so if you've split a disc into multiple albums then it'll fail. It seems this option just stops PerfectTunes from attempting to merge across folders to make complete discs (whether that's by design I don't know).
                  In my view, it would make sense that the program looks at the album and track# tags across folders if the 'Album Matching Grouped by Folder' option is off, because this is of help to the user, who may not wish to match rips to folders. (But NOTE: it should say so in the doc, because it implies a constraint on the metadata.). But it's definitely NOT OK that it still groups by album tag if that option is on. That should mean instead that the user is free to choose whatever metadata they like (even none at all) as long as they take care of not splitting rips across folders (of course, a folder may contain more than one whole rip).

Comment

• simbun
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2021

But it's definitely NOT OK that it still groups by album tag if that option is on. That should mean instead that the user is free to choose whatever metadata they like (even none at all) as long as they take care of not splitting rips across folders (of course, a folder may contain more than one whole rip).
                    I agree that there's some value in having an option that defines one DISC per folder, but if you also want to have multiple discs per folder "(of course, a folder may contain more than one whole rip)" then it needs to start using the metadata.

I don't know much about classical tagging, but are you using the ALBUM tag for what would normally be stored in WORK?

Comment

• FrancescoT
                      • Mar 2024

I agree that there's some value in having an option that defines one DISC per folder, but if you also want to have multiple discs per folder "(of course, a folder may contain more than one whole rip)" then it needs to start using the metadata.
                      Yes you're right. As I said, I'm keeping one rip per folder, anyway, and that's what I was focused on.

I don't know much about classical tagging, but are you using the ALBUM tag for what would normally be stored in WORK?
                      No, not necessarily. Work is meant to be the name of an opus, a self contained piece of music often comprising more "movements" (tracks). An album is a larger collection, indeed often coinciding with one or more CDs (no problem there), but useful for splitting CDs when an opus spans more CDs and/or they also contain other works possibly by different composers and/or performers. Multi-CD releases (boxed sets) containing a packed collection of (often previously released individually) performances by one or more artists are a case in point.

Comment

• simbun
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2021

No, not necessarily. Work is meant to be the name of an opus, a self contained piece of music often comprising more "movements" (tracks). An album is a larger collection, indeed often coinciding with one or more CDs (no problem there), but useful for splitting CDs when an opus spans more CDs and/or they also contain other works possibly by different composers and/or performers. Multi-CD releases (boxed sets) containing a packed collection of (often previously released individually) performances by one or more artists are a case in point.
                        For box-sets (which I classify as a release containing previously released albums) I use a BOXTITLE tag and have the name of the original release in the ALBUM tag, but I do have a few releases where I split a single CD into multiple albums, one example being 'Aretha: Lady Soul & Aretha Now' which contains 2 previously released albums.
                        In order to bring all the tracks back together for verification purposes I build a CUE sheet, which CUETools accepts but unfortunately PerfectTunes doesn't.

Comment

Working...

]]>