title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Perfecttunes inconsistency

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FrancescoT
    • Mar 2024

Perfecttunes inconsistency

I'm in the process of using PerfectTunes to check my collection of several thousands discs (mostly ripped from original CDs) against the AccurateRip database. In more than a few occasions I've noticed the following strange behavior, which I'd be grateful if somebody could help me make sense of:

1) PerfectTunes says that one track of the disc has errors, say track n (with n greater than 1).
    2) I re-rip track n using dBpoweramp, which says the rip is accurate.
    3) I run again PerfectTunes (AccurateRip) on the disc. This time it says track n-1 (which was deemed accurate before) has errors.
    4) Steps 2 and 3 are repeated with n-1 replacing n and so on until track 1 is reached, at which point the whole disc is reported as accurate.

I'm on a MacBook Pro M1 with macOS Sonoma 14.3.1 and I'm using PerfectTunes 2024-01-09 and dBpoweramp 2024-02-01.
    Last edited by FrancescoT; 03-25-2024, 07:16 AM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Perfecttunes inconsistency

Perhaps you ripped with a different drive to the first time you ripped? and are putting an offset into the audio?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• FrancescoT
      • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Spoon
      Perhaps you ripped with a different drive to the first time you ripped? and are putting an offset into the audio?
      Thank you for your reply. I don't remember what drive I used the first time, it may well have been a different one. In any case I still find utterly confusing that the same file (and only one) should be reported as accurate one time (along with all the others up to that track) and as inaccurate the next, when a DIFFERENT file has been changed. Could you please help me understand better?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Each different CD drive has a different offset, they rip slightly early or later than other drives (by manufacturer, and type), so if a rip was done and there was no offset correction, and a later rip done with offset correction, then it is not possible for that disc to match as it relies on data from the track before or after. You would have to rip the whole CD again.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• FrancescoT
          • Mar 2024

I think I got it, thank you. It would seem there's no way for PerfectTunes to be more user friendly in that respect, unless it is made to keep track of -and analyze- earlier runs. Sort of very rudimental AI ....
          At any rate, I would suggest this issue be mentioned in the documentation (if it isn't already, I might have missed it).
          Last edited by FrancescoT; 03-27-2024, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• GBrown
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Oct 2009

If you are already in the process of pulling out the disc to re-rip it, I would suggest that running the whole disc isn't going to take too much longer then a single track and will ensure a complete and accurate rip is done at that point.

Comment

Working...

]]>