title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Paralell installation of Music Converter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penny.Cilin
    • Mar 2024

Paralell installation of Music Converter?

Hello,

at first please excuse me about my bad english.
    My old PC has crashed (Motherboard defective). On the PC with WIN 10 x64 there where Music Converter installed as x32.
    So now the now PC has Win 11 Pro x64. Normally I installed Music Converter as x64.

But I have a lot of Music Files as shn-files. The codec is available only as x32.
    So I would install Music Converter as x64 and for shn-files as x32.
    Does this work? Or are there problems when installed Music Converter x54 AND x32?

What is the installation sequence?
    1. Installing Music Converter x32 and the Add-Ons
    2. Configure Music Converter x32
    3. Installing Music Converter x54 and the Add-Ons
    4 Configure Music Converter x64

Thank you very much for your help.

Greetings Penny.
  • stormbreaker
    • Feb 2024

Re: Paralell installation of Music Converter?

Hello Penny,

Given your situation, where your old PC crashed and you've upgraded to a new one running Windows 11 Pro x64, it's essential to address the compatibility of your Music Converter with the different architectures (x32 and x64).

Your installation sequence is fine, there is no problem, just correct x64 in place of x54.

Now, let's address your main concern: parallel installation. In theory, having both x32 and x64 versions installed side by side should work without major issues. However, consider the following points:

- File Associations: Ensure that file associations (such as shn-files) are correctly set for each version. You want the x32 version to handle shn-files while the x64 version manages other formats.
    - Separate Folders: To avoid confusion, keep separate folders for each version. Organize your music files accordingly.
    - Memory and Resources: Running both versions simultaneously might consume more memory and resources. Monitor system performance and adjust accordingly.

Remember, this approach allows you to work seamlessly with your existing shn-files while benefiting from the x64 version's capabilities for other formats. If you encounter any unexpected issues, feel free to seek further assistance.

Best of luck with your Music Converter setup, and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

You are best to convert all shn to flac, then just have the x64 version.

Other than that, yes you can have the 32 bit version, you would have to manually run the converter from the install folder.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

agree. I'd install the32bit version, convert all my shn to FLAC, then uninstall 32bit version and install 64bit version for future use.

Comment

• Penny.Cilin
          • Mar 2024

Thank you very much for your responses. I know that some settings are stored in %appdata%\Roaming\dBpoweramp.
          I'm not sure, if there where more settings stored in the registry under hklm.

@all: I will first install x32 version, then install x64 and try if its works. Maybe I convert all shn-files to wav to flac.
          I'll give you response.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...

]]>