title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Ripping....Do I have to re-rip?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drumgail
    • Mar 2024

CD Ripping....Do I have to re-rip?

Hi; Recently I got the DBPoweramp software and I think my first 350 Cd's may have to be re-ripped and I am nauseous over it, I think my DSP had the graphic eq setting on a preset of "Rock", boosting the lows and highs, I am assuming that it was burned with that setting....how can I tell if it was set that way after the fact? I did see it in the DSP tab,,,don't know if it was saved that way or not. I was hoping to do any EQ adjustments, if necessary, either in my Eversolo DMP A-6 streamer or through a future Roon purchase, Or is the DSP "Rock" EQ Preset in the dbpoweramp just a playback function and didn't affect my CD rips? I since took it off, but I need best practices for settings...for example...should bit depth be set on 24 bit fixed or the setting of minimum 16 bit and maximum 24 bit? Without dither? I do have a couple of HDCD's, so I should engage that also, with volume increase....correct? And I should put on ReplayGain....is there an order it should appear? Like Bit first, Then HDCD, then ReplayGain?

In the future, I will be ripping my Hi Resolution SACD's, DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray Audio discs to complete my library with my Oppo 105....I waited too long to begin this....and I think I have set myself back with this graphic EQ issue, and if its what I think it is, what is the best way to fix it, a total re-rip?.....Thanks......Mark
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: CD Ripping....Do I have to re-rip?

If there was a DSP effect in the list with EQ, then the audio has been altered, and you will have to rerip.

You are best not changing the audio if possible, even HDCD, if your player is HDCD compatible there is no need to decode to 24 bit, the player will do it, keep at 16 bit.

The only DSP effect to consider is the Replaygain EBU 128 DSP.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• simbun
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Drumgail
      I think my DSP had the graphic eq setting on a preset of "Rock", boosting the lows and highs, I am assuming that it was burned with that setting....how can I tell if it was set that way after the fact?
      Check your rips against AccurateRip using PerfectTUNES. If they verify then you're OK.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by simbun
        Check your rips against AccurateRip using PerfectTUNES. If they verify then you're OK.
        Normally an accuraterip tag is written that is used to verify again, you would have to choose the option to re-read the audio.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Drumgail
          • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Spoon
          If there was a DSP effect in the list with EQ, then the audio has been altered, and you will have to rerip.

You are best not changing the audio if possible, even HDCD, if your player is HDCD compatible there is no need to decode to 24 bit, the player will do it, keep at 16 bit.

The only DSP effect to consider is the Replaygain EBU 128 DSP.

Thanks for your responses...So the settings on ReplayGain will be ....

Write....Track Gain
          Albums identified by: album ID tag
          Gain Calculation...EBU R128, LUTs target volume:-18 DB Maximum Gain 25 DB
          1X no true peak

I will try to figure out if it recorded the EQ preset soon....

I will future burn all discs with the ReplayGain, and I set it for the others if I have to re-rip discs based upon EQ preset

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

That is correct, you might want to write track and album gain.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Drumgail
              • Mar 2024

That is correct, you might want to write track and album gain.
              Hi; after the replies, I see where the album and track gain is in Perfect Tunes? How do I tell if there is an EQ preset in Perfect Tunes also, is there an option in the metadata that shows where I added a EQ preset?, I added a song EQ preset to test it, I can hear it but I cannot find where it would show that it is there after the fact.....sorry.....I am a newbie!

Comment

• Drumgail
                • Mar 2024

Hi; after the replies, I see where the album and track gain is in Perfect Tunes? How do I tell if there is an EQ preset in Perfect Tunes also, is there an option in the metadata that shows where I added a EQ preset?, I added a song EQ preset to test it, I can hear it but I cannot find where it would show that it is there after the fact.....sorry.....I am a newbie!
                And even after the EQ preset was added, it's showing as an accurate rip....Thx

Comment

• simbun
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2021

Hi; after the replies, I see where the album and track gain is in Perfect Tunes?
                  I don't have PerfectTunes, but I believe you can only add ReplayGain tags using CD Ripper (during the ripping process) or MusicConverter/BatchConverter (to existing tracks).

And even after the EQ preset was added, it's showing as an accurate rip....Thx
                  If you're using CD Ripper then it's just an indication of the rip itself, not a reflection of any additional processing that took place.

If you're verifying an existing rip with PerfectTunes then make sure you:
                  Normally an accuraterip tag is written that is used to verify again, you would have to choose the option to re-read the audio.

Comment

• Drumgail
                    • Mar 2024

That is interesting, so the 400 cd's that I already ripped without the ReplayGain could be batch converted without the entire ripping process again using the Batch/Music converter...thank you

Comment

• Drumgail
                      • Mar 2024

Spoon, can you confirm that I can add ReplayGain to existing tracks I ripped with MusicConverter or BatchConverter? Thanks

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Spoon, can you confirm that I can add ReplayGain to existing tracks I ripped with MusicConverter or BatchConverter? Thanks
                        One can always add ReplayGain tags at any time after ripping. Use converter and convert to the ReplayGain DSP. Select both album and track in the settings to add both tags.

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Select the albums and convert to set the encoder to [Replaygain]
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RonK
                            • Nov 2023

I assume that a sound setting of the computer/laptop sound card (software) does not affect the ripping process?

Reading and ripping a CD with DBpoweramp or other ripper does not require the sound card, right ?

At least I hope so :-)
                            Last edited by RonK; 04-18-2024, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

Correct
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>