title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

DBPA Playback

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickwoodlyn
    • Feb 2024

DBPA Playback

I will be archiving 4000 CDs in the near future. Will I be able to listen to tracks with DBPA the same as Itunes?
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: DBPA Playback

Dbpa is a ripper and converter, not a server/player. Consider foobar2000 as server/player.

Comment

• nerdyaks
      • Mar 2024

Here are a few key points on using dBpoweramp for archiving and listening to CDs compared to iTunes:

dBpoweramp is an excellent tool for ripping and archiving CDs. It supports all major formats like MP3, FLAC, etc.
      The CD Ripper feature allows you to rip CDs with meta data lookup and automatically save tracks to your desired file format and folder structure.
      It has a built-in Music Converter tool that can batch convert between formats once ripped. This is useful for creating smaller MP3 copies of lossless FLAC archives for example.
      The dBpoweramp CD Reader can play back CDs directly like a virtual CD player. But it lacks the full playback features and library management of iTunes media player.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by nerdyaks
        The dBpoweramp CD Reader can play back CDs directly like a virtual CD player. But it lacks the full playback features and library management of iTunes media player.
        Agree, but note this playback is not intended to be a player for digital files. It can allow playback of a CD that you have inserted to rip. Maybe useful for checking songs if you don't want to rip entire CD. I've ripped 5,000 CDs and never used the "playback" option of the ripper.

Comment

• mickwoodlyn
          • Feb 2024

Thanks for the info. Another question I have is this. Will my CDs that are burned copies have Metadata that is readable by either DBPA, Foobar, or maybe Media Monkey?

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mickwoodlyn
            Thanks for the info. Another question I have is this. Will my CDs that are burned copies have Metadata that is readable by either DBPA, Foobar, or maybe Media Monkey?
            yes, and many (most) other server/players.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by garym
              yes, and many (most) other server/players.
              I may have misinterpreted your question. If you RIP CDs with dbpa and add metadata, this metadata will be associated with your files on virtually any server/player. But in rereading, you mention BURNING a copy. That means taking digital files with metadata and then creating (BURNING) these files to create a physical CD copy on, for example, a CD-R. In that case, these "burned" CDs typically do NOT have any metadata. Just like CDs don't actually have metadata. The metadata comes from online databases one accesses when RIPPING the CDs..

Comment

• mickwoodlyn
                • Feb 2024

That makes sense. However, I will be ripping the burned CDs. Will online databases be able to find the metadata?

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mickwoodlyn
                  That makes sense. However, I will be ripping the burned CDs. Will online databases be able to find the metadata?
                  yes. Usually. Just curious. Why rip CDs then reburn them and rip again?

Comment

• schmidj
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2013

Hi Gary,

I think you are misreading him again, possibly. I think that he means that part of his collection is CDs that are burned copies of original CDs. Like he borrowed CDs from the library or a friend and made copies for his CD collection.

And my answer is probably yes, if they were copied as "disc at once" copies, they may possibly not show up in the Accurate Rip database, but they probably will trigger responses from the metadata suppliers. If copied a track at a time skipping tracks he didn't want, then no.

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

@schmidj yes, that sounds more like what he is asking now that I think about it more.

Comment

• mickwoodlyn
                        • Feb 2024

Yes. That's what I meant. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...

]]>