title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Naming Files in Ripper - Using Functions with Metadata with Semicolons

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nlkleve
    • Jul 2009

Naming Files in Ripper - Using Functions with Metadata with Semicolons

I am trying to use metadata in file naming using the provided functions. Much of my metadata has semicolons in it and, while naming files, I want to look up, and change those semicolons, in the string. How do you get the coding to recognize a semicolon? I know that <comma_> works for comma, but I tried <semicolon_> to no avail.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Naming Files in Ripper - Using Functions with Metadata with Semicolons

Can you give a specific example, before and after?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• nlkleve
      • Jul 2009

When I use "[SPLIT]letter or string,string,position[]" and type in '[SPLIT]/,[artist],2][], the function splits on any "/" and gives me the second instance. If I type "[SPLIT];,[artist], 2[]", nothing happens even though there is a ";" in the tag.

Using "[REPLACE]search,replacement,string[]" again, if I look to find and replace a "/", it works. If I try it with a ";" it doesn't.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

'; ' is just virtual until it is written, so use:

[SPLIT]; ,[MULTITAG]artist[], 2[]
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• nlkleve
          • Jul 2009

Thank you for this help. I will try this.

I don't fully understand your explanation, and I would really like to get more adept at this sort of programing. Is there some place that I can read up on it?

Comment

• simbun
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2021

Originally posted by nlkleve
            I don't fully understand your explanation, and I would really like to get more adept at this sort of programing.
            Tagging applications like dBpoweramp and foobar2000 use semi-colons to visually separate the elements of multi-value tags, but the semi-colons aren't stored in the underlying tags e.g. what looks like 'Artist1; Artist2' in the UI, when written to a FLAC file are actually stored as individual fields:
            ARTIST Artist1
            ARTIST Artist2

[MULTITAG]artist[] combines the values together into a single string separated by a semi-colon ('Artist1' & ';' & 'Artist2'), that you can then separate with [SPLIT].

Of course it could be that you really do have semi-colons in your Artist tag, but that's not the correct way of storing them, and it isn't something dBpoweramp would do.

Comment

• nlkleve
              • Jul 2009

Thanks so much! This really does clear up my confusion, and it gives me enough info to let me know where to go to learn more about tagging. Everyone's help is appreciated.

Norm

Comment

Working...

]]>