title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can music conversions lead to longer listed playtimes?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bespin1138
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jun 2020

Can music conversions lead to longer listed playtimes?

I have a music format conversion question. Can converting songs from one format to another format lead to longer listed track lengths or playtimes? I have used dBpoweramp to rip my CDs to FLAC. I used Batch Converter to convert my FLAC songs to M4A for use when either traveling or if a music player doesn't support FLAC. I ripped and converted around 500 CDs. I use Media Monkey (Version 4) as my primary player for listening to my music on my computer and for transferring songs to my MP3 player. I created a FLAC playlist for all of my FLAC songs and an AAC playlist for all of my M4A songs in Media Monkey to transfer my songs to an MP3 player more quickly instead of each albums or songs individually if I either have to factory reset or replace my existing MP3 player. When I created and updated the playlists, I made sure that the songs in the playlists were in their correct formats and the song count totals matched. However, despite the song count totals matching I have noticed that their is a difference in time durations between the two playlists. The FLAC playlist lists a time of roughly 503.5 hours and the AAC library playlist lists a time of roughly 504.75 hours. I am pretty sure I have all of the correct songs and albums listed in these playlists and if I had missed an album or song, or had duplicates of albums or songs, there very likely would be a difference in their song counts (currently both playlists have 8058 songs). Could the difference in time lengths be due to the conversion processes from FLAC to M4A adding slightly longer lengths to some songs or could it be an error in metadata or whatever other data is used to measure or read the time lengths of songs? As you might guess, there are too many songs and albums to check time lengths individually. Is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Can music conversions lead to longer listed playtimes?

The extra time will be because your player is not reading the AAC files gaplessly, normally AAC has a tiny bit of extra silence added.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Bespin1138
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jun 2020

Re: Can music conversions lead to longer listed playtimes?

Originally posted by Spoon
      The extra time will be because your player is not reading the AAC files gaplessly, normally AAC has a tiny bit of extra silence added.
      Thanks for both clearing up my concern and for both your time and assistance.

Comment

Working...

]]>