title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Mac OSX Sonoma - Open At Login, hiding Asset App?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlueYetiRip
    • Apr 2016

Mac OSX Sonoma - Open At Login, hiding Asset App?

Hi all. I'm setting up Asset from scratch on an M1 Mac mini, running OSX Sonoma. I want Asset to "Open at Login", and have it run invisibly in the background like it did on Catalina on my old Mac. Now, Asset always opens in the Dock, and appears on the desktop? How can I stop this happening and have Asset run in the background? Any pointers welcome.
  • PeterP
    Super Moderator
    • Jul 2011

Re: Mac OSX Sonoma - Open At Login, hiding Asset App?

Some versions of Asset worked exactly as you say: no dock icon, only menu bar item.
    However, this turned out to be problematic for some users - apparently Mac OS may hide menu bar items if there are too many of them; Apple documentation very specifically says to make your app *not* rely on the menu bar item being visible.
    Obvious solution would be to implement a toggle for showing the app in the dock or not. But that won't work either, it depends on app manifest line which can't be changed after building the app - I'd basically have to build two versions of Asset, one with dock icon and one without.

With enough technical knowledge you can locate Asset service program inside Asset UPnP.app and have it launch on logon. I'll write a FAQ post about how to do this later.

Comment

• PeterP
      Super Moderator
      • Jul 2011

... and done:
      Asset UPnP for Mac OS app bundle contains standalone Asset service program which can be used without the frontend. When invoked standalone, it behaves more or less like Linux version of Asset, providing web interface etc. If you wish to run Asset hidden, type in terminal: /Applications/Asset\ UPnP.app/Contents/Resources/bin/Ass

Comment

• BlueYetiRip
        • Apr 2016

That's fabulous! Many thanks Peter, I'll give that a go.

Comment

Working...

]]>