title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Rip error hoses my computer.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eracer1111
    • Jan 2024

Rip error hoses my computer.

I have 15 days left in my Release 2023-12-22 trial, and I really want to love this software. It does some things brilliantly, but there's one MAJOR problem I'm having, and I'm hoping someone can help talk me into paying for it.

Most commercial CD's rip without a problem, and when finished I just move on to the next.
    Some, however report an error when ripping tracks. I've tried burst mode, as well as all the different 'Secure Mode' tests and settings I could. OK, fine...some discs are a problem, and I just give up on them. 'Defective CD' option works on some problem discs, but not all.

One big problem is that Task Manager oftentimes can't end the process, and I have to restart the computer to get things working again. Even if I can kill the process, dBpa won't work properly unless I restart the computer. Other running programs aren't affected, but dBpa is just 'stuck.' Something it does deeply hooks into my OS and won't let go.

A bigger problem is that restarting the computer can take up to an hour, and sometimes I have to push the power button to force a shutdown. This really concerns me. I don't see this behavior with any other software.

I have tried uninstalling dBpa and using the reset tool, enabling registry clean. Didn't seem to help.

I can use EAC, and it doesn't hose my computer the way dBpa does. It's much slower, though, and I really want dBpa to work for me.

Windows 10 (I can't upgrade to Win 11)
    TEAC DV-W28S-VS external USB drive (I might upgrade to a Pioneer BDR-X13UDK, but only because I have over 1000 CD's left to rip, and the el cheapo TEAC unit would probably die an early death.)
    Last edited by eracer1111; 01-27-2024, 01:36 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Rip error hoses my computer.

Something very low level is locking up internally in Windows, perhaps the USB subsystem, no program running as normal user mode can do as your describe to windows, even if it maliciously wanted to do so.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• eracer1111
      • Jan 2024

Re: Rip error hoses my computer.

Thanks for the reply. This laptop has never given me any problems. I mean it's been rock solid and troublefree for over 5 years.

The only thing that's different is the new 'El Cheapo' CD drive I bought. Maybe it's a Windows driver for that drive?

I have learned something:

If I 'Cancel Rip' or 'Skip Track' then dBpa stops responding, and Task Manager won't kill the dBpa process.
      If I use Task Manager to kill it as soon as the first track shows 'Error' then it releases, and restarting the program behaves normally. So I've found a 'workaround.'
      And 95% of the rips are perfect. It's just when I encounter a 'bad' disc that I have problems. And all my discs are clean,scratch-free, and always cased. Just something about some discs...

I'll probably buy the Pioneer drive I mentioned above (even though it costs $150 vs. $26 for the 'El Cheapo' TEAC unit.)
      Maybe that will solve the problem...
      Last edited by eracer1111; 01-28-2024, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>