title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Legacy question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ibdjredbeard
    • May 2020

Legacy question

Good day. Ive been using DAP for over 2 decades I'm sure. My other music player is Winamp. These two programs have pretty much been my audio software exclusively.. I find it necessary to preface my question with an apology as I was unaware until this very hour that DAP was no longer supported much less in development. However I must ask my question with the hopes that someone may remember experiencing my current issue and the solution and will be sympathetic to my slow slip into insanity without it. Thank you in advance.
    For the past several months I have been reorganizing my library. Including tagging, naming, and grouping. I use "Edit ID Tags" in the context menu and Arrange Files in My Music collection literally exclusively as I have since I first started using this software. I will import folders into My Collection and then search for metadata that is incorrect or missing or otherwise incomplete with the goal of complete uniformity throughout the data base. When scanning the list in my collection all the files and folders that are correct get removed and then manually placed in the appropriate folder/drive ect. What ever is left over gets "Arranged" automatically into folders with the meta data corrected by the software (I LOVE THIS as it saves me hundreds of hours of manual data entry.). The only anomaly I have not been able to normalize is when My Music Collection imports an entire volume of files that appear to be broken. They will all show normal stats except for the length will be 0:00 and they will fail to open in the software. These files will convert with MC and Batch but they will not correct during the conversion and will remain unplayable within DAP. They will play with winamp, Media Player, Vlc, Audacity. When I first noticed the glitch I feel like sometimes if I converted the file to a wave and then back to an mp3 it would fix whatever the problem was. But it doesnt work all the time and now I am left with several thousand files that for some reason DAP doesn't recognize as valid. Where should I be looking to find out what's wrong. I feel like it has something to do do with the way they are tagged but I can't find anything obvious. Thank you for your time and your patience. I have no intentions whatsoever of switching or replacing any of the software from here. I'll replace the files first. But if there is a simple solution that would save me all that time, that would be fabulous and I would be truly grateful. Thanks again.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Legacy question

What file type are they?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ibdjredbeard
      • May 2020

The are mp3

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

You might have a setting in mp3 compression the player cannot decode, try CBR 320kbps
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ibdjredbeard
          • May 2020

Thank you for the reply, and what an excellent suggestion. To test it I used a folder of files I knew would appear as invalid in "My Music Collection" ie: show 0:00 for the length of the files and fail to play. The sample rates were already 320 but I batch converted them all and set the converter to 320kbs. They all converted successfully without fixing the problem.
          I have found out that I can load the bad files into Audacity and export them back out and they will work although this process seems to get some of the meta data confused, like same artist for all the files. Of course this isn't anywhere near as elegant as doing it all with one app and still leaves me curious as to what in the world is causing the issue.

Comment

• schmidj
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2013

What are the settings for export that Audacity is using, it may well be something different. Try converting using the dBpoweramp converter to a lesser bitrate, like CBR 144kbps. Also don't use any plug-ins.

Comment

Working...

]]>