title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Rip a CD with a single, large track

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Art9000
    • Jan 2024

Rip a CD with a single, large track

I have a CD that has a single large track (525.69MB - 63 mins long). How can I rip this? I tried Accurate rip but it ran for 56 hours before I stopped it. I'm now running burst mode at 40 minutes plus and the CD speed is down to 0.6x. Is there anything I am missing to get this ripped?
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Rip a CD with a single, large track

IMHO the CD itself is the problem, not the length of that single track. I've ripped Mike Oldfield's album "Amarok" without any problems which has a single track with a length of 1 hour only. Is your CD an Audio CD (redbook standard)? Is it copy protected? Try to clean the surface of the CD or a different CD drive.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Art9000
      • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Dat Ei
      IMHO the CD itself is the problem, not the length of that single track. I've ripped Mike Oldfield's album "Amarok" without any problems which has a single track with a length of 1 hour only. Is your CD an Audio CD (redbook standard)? Is it copy protected? Try to clean the surface of the CD or a different CD drive.

Dat Ei
      Thanks for your reply

The CD was produced from an Audacity recording at a live venue from a Mackie 16 track mixer. The CD shows the single track as "Track 1.cda". It plays fine on my computer's CD player. It just doesn't rip. I stopped the Burst rip after 2 hours. I was able to convert the CD to an AAC file with iTunes. I would prefer a wav or, dare I say it, an mp3.

As a side note, I've ripped 500+ CDs and had 30 which wouldn't rip. In all cases, the CDs play fine.
      Last edited by Art9000; 01-17-2024, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Dat Ei
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2014

Does dBpa rerip frames? Ripping with iTunes does not say anything, just like a playback with a player. iTunes has nearly no error handling at all.

Dat Ei

Comment

• GBrown
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Art9000
          As a side note, I've ripped 500+ CDs and had 30 which wouldn't rip. In all cases, the CDs play fine.
          Many basic computer players and ripping software have little to no error correction. That is what makes dbPoweramp and Accuraterip so crucial as a tool for ripping. The combination ensures you can get a perfect rip, or it identifies when it cannot.

But it is strange that you have tried this on Burst mode, as this should roll through the rippping process without stopping for error recovery. If your drive is down to below 1.0x speed, perhaps the hardware in this case is slowing it down to try to read through a physically damaged section? I have a handful of older discs from my younger days that I wasn't able to get ripped. If I hold these up to a light you can see the damage to the disc layer and these cause all of my drives issues. I have four different brand drives that I use and none of them are able to recover data from these damaged discs. So much for the concept that was pitched in the 80's that CD's were "virtually indestructible!"

Comment

• schmidj
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2013

Try a different CD/DVD drive. (pull one out of an old junk computer). many drives do just what you see when trying to rip a CD with errors. Some will slow down to almost nothing, others will try at a higher speed.

If you can't successfully rip it, play it (as opposed to ripping it) in a CD player and record the audio. That may be your best bet for recovering what is on the CD.

Comment

• Art9000
              • Jan 2024

Originally posted by schmidj
              Try a different CD/DVD drive. (pull one out of an old junk computer). many drives do just what you see when trying to rip a CD with errors. Some will slow down to almost nothing, others will try at a higher speed.

If you can't successfully rip it, play it (as opposed to ripping it) in a CD player and record the audio. That may be your best bet for recovering what is on the CD.
              Thanks @schmidj and @GBrown. I tried a different CD player to no avail. Proceeding to rerecord the audio and rip from there.

Appreciate your help

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

if itunes can rip it, why not rip to WAV (or ALAC or AIFF) with itunes, then convert from WAV to FLAC using dbpoweramp.

Comment

Working...

]]>