title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Not seeing artist sort tag

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fphredd
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Feb 2009

Not seeing artist sort tag

I've got my music tagged such that individual artists use the 'artist sort' tag in order to list last name, first name, e.g. Schultz, Adam.

I've installed the [Arrange Audio] add-on, but dBpoweramp doesn't see the tag. Any help greatly appreciated!

edit: version 12-22-2023
    Attached Files
    Last edited by fphredd; 01-06-2024, 05:58 PM.
  • fphredd
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Feb 2009

Re: Not seeing artist sort tag

This is the Dynamic Naming scheme:

Code:
    [IFVALUE]artistsort,[artistsort],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc][]\[title]

Comment

• simbun
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2021

Originally posted by fphredd
      I've installed the [Arrange Audio] add-on, but dBpoweramp doesn't see the tag.
      To reference user defined tags you have to surround them with [tag] []:
      Code:
      [tag]artistsort[]
      [tag]album artist sort[]
      I'm still unclear on the exact rules and the naming that's required, but if something doesn't work I'll surround it with [tag][] and then try introducing spaces.

Comment

• fphredd
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by simbun
        To reference user defined tags you have to surround them with [tag] []:

I'm still unclear on the exact rules and the naming that's required, but if something doesn't work I'll surround it with [tag][] and then try introducing spaces.
        Thanks for the try. Without spaces I just get a sort by album, with spaces I still get regular sorting, i.e. first name, last name. I keep thinking the fact that it doesn't show up in the dBpoweramp explorer means there's something else going on and it's just failing to see the tag.
        Last edited by fphredd; 01-07-2024, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• simbun
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2021

Thanks for the try. Without spaces I just get a sort by album, with spaces I still get regular sorting, i.e. first name, last name. I keep thinking the fact that it doesn't show up in the dBpoweramp explorer means there's something else going on and it's just failing to see the tag.
          The tags I specified above work for me, and I store the values in the ALBUMARTISTSORT and ARTISTSORT Vorbis tags.
          I've never used dBpoweramp explorer, but MusicBee is a good program for verifying exactly where your tags are stored (Tag Code) using its Tag Inspector (right click on a file, Edit, then Tag Inspector in the new window).

Click image for larger version

Name:	TagInspector.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	294728

I haven't verified your dynamic naming logic, but once you've verified that the tags are there try putting [tag]artistsort[] on the end of the filename.

Comment

• simbun
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2021

Without spaces I just get a sort by album, with spaces I still get regular sorting, i.e. first name, last name.
            Given you're seeing different results doesn't that mean that it's evaluating [tag]artistsort[] as not empty? Are you using [tag]artistsort[] in all references in the naming string?

I didn't pick up on that the first time around. Best to paste your new naming string.

Comment

• fphredd
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Feb 2009

I didn't pick up on that the first time around. Best to paste your new naming string.
              Tried:
              Code:
              [IFVALUE][tag]artistsort[],[tag][artistsort][],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc][]\[title]

[IFVALUE][tag]artist sort[],[tag][artist sort][],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc][]\[title]

Comment

• simbun
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2021

Code:
                [IFVALUE][tag]artistsort[],[tag][artistsort][],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc][]\[title]
                I think it's the '[tag][artistsort][]', you just need '[tag]artistsort[]'

Comment

• fphredd
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Feb 2009

Success!! This worked:

Code:
                  [IFVALUE][tag]artistsort[],[tag]artistsort[],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc][]\[title]
                  Thank You for the help and the patience!!

A couple of interesting observations. The explorer doesn't have a way to read 'artistsort' without the space, but that naming does. MP3Tag, which I use with great success for tagging ease as well as the ability to expose hidden tags, exposes it both ways when tagged one way. My Logitech Squeezebox Server also read it fine without the space. No matter, all sorted out. Wooooo-hooooo!!

On a side note...do you know how do I delete previous entries; the list is pretty long now with formatting I won't use.

Comment

• fphredd
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Feb 2009

So stick with me here...it worked and then it didn't?? Do you know how to clear all of the previous Dynamic Naming entries from memory? I'd like to start fresh...

Comment

• simbun
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2021

Success!!
                      Glad it worked for you.

On a side note...do you know how do I delete previous entries; the list is pretty long now with formatting I won't use.
                      It looks like they're stored in the registry, under:
                      Code:
                      Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Illustrate\dBpoweramp

Comment

• fphredd
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Feb 2009

Glad it worked for you.

It looks like they're stored in the registry, under:
                        Code:
                        Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Illustrate\dBpoweramp
                        Going to need it. I went back after the test run and it failed. I honestly have no clue why, so I'm going to clean them out and start fresh. Will keep ya updated. Again, thank you!!

Comment

• fphredd
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Feb 2009

Going to need it. I went back after the test run and it failed. I honestly have no clue why, so I'm going to clean them out and start fresh. Will keep ya updated. Again, thank you!!
                          Must have had too many to remember what was what. Cleaned the registry entries (again, help vm appreciated) and we get ready to run 80,000 tracks FLAC -> MP3 (travel library).

Comment

Working...

]]>