title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problem Starting Batch Converter

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GlennS
    • Dec 2023

Problem Starting Batch Converter

Windows 10 / dBpoweramp Release 2023-11-01

I have a problem when starting Batch Converter. The application starts (visible in task manager) but the UI never appears in the display.

I believe the problem is caused by a mapped / network drive that was last used as the "source" drive for a conversion no longer being present. In the past I have had and solved this problem by ensuring the drive mapping is present and then everything starts fine.

Unfortunately the network share that was being used is now permanently gone and I cannot use that remedy.

I've tried uninstall/reinstall of dBpoweramp but that hasn't resolved it. I am supposing that's due to a registry key or state file surviving the reinstall.

How can I get Batch Converter to start?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Problem Starting Batch Converter

Normally Batch Converter does not remember selections, so changes to drives or networks should not stop it.

When running it can you see it on the taskbar? if hold the mouse over task bar icon can you see a small window?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• GlennS
      • Dec 2023

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

No, nothing appears on the task bar. The only indication that the program is running is that it appears in "Task Manager".

The sequence goes like this.

1. Open "Control Center"
      2. Click the "Batch Converter" icon.
      "Control Center" UI closes (although is still running according to "Task Manager")
      "Batch Converter" UI never appears (again, it is visible as running in "Task Manager")
      3. After some considerable time (I have waited an hour in case there's a really long timeout lurking somewhere) kill the "Batch Converter" task in "Task Manager"
      "Control Center" UI reappears.

At no point does any "Batch Converter" UI appear on the screen or the task bar.

Comment

• GlennS
        • Dec 2023

I have partially resolved the problem

It wasn't quite what I thought. My premise was that the "Batch Converter" was looking for a mapped drive but that doesn't seem to be the case. It appears that it was looking for an UNC path.

In order to try and "configure my way out of the problem", I got the old (decomissioned) NAS box that used to host my music files out of the scrap pile. As soon as the box was powered up, "Batch Converter" started (after a short timeout of ~20s when the screen remained blank).

The bottom right of the "Batch Converter" screen reads

"0 Audio Files Shown in Folder: \\RPUKNASA\Media\music".

"RPUKNASA" is the machine name of my old NAS box. The "\Media\music" share doesn't exist on the NAS box anymore but that doesn't seem to matter. Finding the computer name on the network seems to be enough.

So it now runs and works, I managed a FLAC->MP3 conversion. The only problem that remains is that every time "Batch Converter" starts it seems to be looking for "\\RPUKNASA\Media\music". I don't want to leave the old NAS box running permanently.

Comment

• GlennS
          • Dec 2023

Mmm... curiouser and curiouser.

I searched the registry for "\\RPUKNASA\Media\music". The only place it turned up was against "Windows Media Player". Obviously that's "wrong" as the share no longer exists but it was present under "Music Library Locations" in WMP. I deleted the Library Location in WMP.

Now when "Batch Converter" starts, and it still takes about 20s to do so, it shows

"0 Audio Files Shown in Folder: C:" in the bottom right corner.

I have no "Library Location" set in WMP. I wonder if things will change when I set one? Ah... it does! If I point the WMP "Library Location" at "D:\Users\glenn\Library" then guess what appears in the bottom right hand corner of "Batch Converter" when it starts, yup "D:\Users\glenn\Library". It seems "Batch Converter" defaults to looking in whatever the WMP library is set to!

All fixed now "Batch Converter" starts cleanly and near instantly.
          Last edited by GlennS; 12-16-2023, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>