title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: ALAC stopped working with

ALAC stopped working with

Hi,

I am still working with an old version of dbPoweramp, it is R13.5. I have not used it in a while and now wanted to use it again. I am using ALAC (Apple Lossless) but for some reason the codec is disabled. Since the time I used dbPoweramp last, I upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. When I open up the install page for the code, it tells me that it should automatically come with dbPoweramp. Also tried to reinstall dbPoweramp, but the codec is still not available.

Is there a way I can still get it to work? Or do I need a newer version of dbPoweramp?

Regards, Robert

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: ALAC stopped working with

Hi Robert, I'm not an Apple user, but I understand ALAC is now renamed as Apple Lossless & that is how its listed in dBpoweramp

Administrator

It would not have been standard in R13.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It would not have been standard in R13.
    I have been using it before with Windows 10. Not 100% if it was the Windows 11 update, but for some reason it does not work anymore now, it is greyed out:

Screenshot - 26_11_2023 , 20_31_43.png

Any ideas how I can get it to work?

Regards, Robert

Administrator

Back then it would have been an optional install, clicking it would have fetched the install.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Back then it would have been an optional install, clicking it would have fetched the install.
    And that install is not available anymore?

Any idea why it may have stopped working? Could the Windows 11 update have broken it?

Would an update to the latest version of dBpoweramp solve this?

Edit: I did found a "dBpoweramp-Codec-m4a FDK (AAC) Encoder.exe" in the depth of my file archive. However during installation it shows an error (see screenshot below). The install then still shows as successful, but "Apple Lossless" remains greyed out in dBpoweramp CD Ripper.

Screenshot - 27_11_2023 , 07_24_55.png
    Last edited by the-ninth; 11-27-2023 at 01:26 AM.

Administrator

The latest version would solve it, as it has all the codecs bundled, for many years (atleast 8 years for ALAC).

I do not know where you would find the old install for ALAC, sorry.

Thanks - I decided to switch to iTunes, which can also rip to ALAC. dbPoweramp has its advantages, but nowadays I am mostly on streaming platforms anyway, and for the occasional CD that needs ripping, iTunes does just fine.