title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tagging/Labeling CD Singles vs Albums

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chaz34
    • Mar 2023

Tagging/Labeling CD Singles vs Albums

Hi,
    I have a great number of CD singles in my collection and I would like to distinguish them differently than a regular album. Currently, when looking at the folder names after ripping, unless I open up the folder to see how many tracks are there, its hard to know which is a single and which is an album.

Here is my current naming scheme:

Current dynamic naming:
    [MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]/[MAXLENGTH]80,[year] - [album] (FLAC)[]/[MAXLENGTH]80,[track]-[artist] - [title][]

And here is what my album folder name looks like in my library:
    1985 - Megatop Phoenix (FLAC)

I would like to rip a CD single and have the folder name look something like this:
    1991 - Rush (Single, FLAC)

I see Musicbrainz has a "Type" tag (for album or single) but I cannot make the connection and bringing that tag over. Is there a simple way to do this dynamically? Is a single vs album encoded on the CD directly? Thank you in advance!
  • simbun
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2021

Re: Tagging/Labeling CD Singles vs Albums

I hope someone can come up with a better way as it's really crude, but you could use:

Code:
    ([if][track_total],=,1,Single<comma_> [][if][track_total],=,2,Single<comma_> [][if][track_total],=,3,Single<comma_> []FLAC)
    I don't think there's a 'less than' condition, and I believe the definition of a single is 3 tracks.

That or you could have 2 profiles (with different naming), one for ripping singles and one for albums.

Comment

• Chaz34
      • Mar 2023

Hi @simbun,
      Thank you for your reply. I do have a Blur "single" with 6 tracks actually and its tagged that way on Musicbrainz. So the string you suggested would work, I just need to keep adding numbers.

I could also have a different profile as you suggested. I wanted to not have to switch between them but may have to. I appreciate the reply.

Comment

• Dat Ei
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2014

Mike Oldfield's album "Amorok" has just one 60 min lasting track.

Dat Ei

Comment

• simbun
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Dat Ei
          Mike Oldfield's album "Amorok" has just one 60 min lasting track.

Dat Ei
          I had some vague recollection of a 30 minute duration as I was writing it. Looks like it might be even more complicated.

Might be simpler just to set it manually during ripping than have Mp3tag or foobar look it up after the event.

If you're going to capture this type of information I'd be inclined to capture the full MusicBrainz Release Group/Type as it makes the browsing experience much richer.

Comment

• Dat Ei
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2014

I would define two profiles, one for albums, one for singles.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Chaz34
              • Mar 2023

Thank you everyone. I have a number of singles that are 6 tracks and others that are only 3 so I think it makes sense to go with different profiles. The link simbun provided defining single vs EP vs album shows platforms look at them differently. I will stick with a manual process. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...

]]>