title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Convert FLAC to MP3 With No Duplicate FLAC Files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Holden4th
    • Jul 2020

Convert FLAC to MP3 With No Duplicate FLAC Files

I have ripped all my CDs to FLAC but my car player won't recognise FLAC files. When I use dBPoweramp to convert FLAC to MP3 I end up with each track twice. The first track is in FLAC and is then in MP3. This means that I have to delete all the FLAC files one by one to leave everything as MP3 only. Surely there is a way for dBPA to simply leave MP3 file only but I can't see how to do it.
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Convert FLAC to MP3 With No Duplicate FLAC Files

Hey Holden4th,

there are different ways available:

1.) Rip directly to mp3 instead of flac.
    2.) Convert ripped flac to mp3 and add the DSP "Delete Source File".

Personally I wouldn't recommend wether 1.) nor 2.). The flac files are lossless and have the highest possible quality. You can use those flac files like audio negative files. You can use them as long time source and convert them as often as you like into other lossless or lossy formats. Otherwise: once you have deleted your flacs, you need to rerip your CDs to get the best out of your music.

My tip: organize flacs and mp3 in different basic folders.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Holden4th
      • Jul 2020

You've solved the problem for me with option 2. What I've done is copy certain albums to a USB drive from my master copy which is on an SSD. I then convert the files on the USB to MP3 for use in my car player.

What I have noticed is that if I don't select "Delete Source File" the conversion is relatively quick. If I do choose the DSF option it is very slow at around 8x encoding speed. Can I select a faster option? I see in the options section that I am encoding at "Normal". There is an "Above Normal" choice. Will that speed things up?
      Last edited by Holden4th; 11-23-2023, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• Dat Ei
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2014

Try to convert the flac files from the SSD directly to mp3 files on the USB stick. My verdict: the delete operation on the USB stick is time consuming (parallel read / write operation on USB stick).

Dat Ei
        Last edited by Dat Ei; 11-23-2023, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Holden4th
          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Dat Ei
          Try to convert the flac files from the SSD directly to mp3 files on the USB stick. My verdict: the delete operation on the USB stick is time consuming (parallel read / write operation on USB stick).

Dat Ei
          Thanks for that advice. I'm not sure how I would go about doing this but from what I can gather, I would be copying the files on the SSD directly to the USB and storing them as MP3s at the same time. Is this correct?

Comment

• Dat Ei
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2014

The idea is to read the flac files from the fast master SSD and convert them to mp3 files on the USB stick. This way you only write the small mp3 files on the USB stick instead of reading big flac files from the stick, write mp3s to the stick and deleting big flac files slowly from the stick.

Dat Ei

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

if you do a lot of this, a related dbpoweramp product is designed for this process. I use it to create mp3 versions of my FLAC files for use on portable devices. See:
              dBpoweramp Image Converter - PNG, Portable Network Graphics, Bitmap, GIF, JPEG, JPG, TIFF, Webp. Free Download (21 day full trial), start converting today

Comment

Working...

]]>