title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Bug: semicolon in folder name cuts folder naming

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbpa
    • Nov 2019

Bug: semicolon in folder name cuts folder naming

I unfortunately have discovered this bug much too late, so I have created quite some chaos. As we all know, classical music presents much difficulty, not for the ripping itself, but for reasonable metadata management, especially in the folders-files structure.

I put the names of the composers into the field 1) "Album Artist", then the work titles into the field 2) "Album", as well as the interpretes, as for example:
    1) Beethoven
    2) Piano Concerto no. 3 in c (Wilhelm Kempff, Berliner Philharmoniker, Böhm)

"Naming" being: \Album Artist\Album\(TrackNum) Title

which means that within the folder structure, the folder "Beethoven" is created (or used, if already existant), with a new sub-folder "Piano Concerto no. 3 in c (Wilhelm Kempff, Berliner Philharmoniker, Böhm)", and with then 3 .wav files in that "CD" folder.

So far, so good.

In classical music though, often CDs contain works from DIFFERENT composers, performed by the same artists, e.g. ballads by Loewe and Songs by Schumann, sung by Fischer-Dieskau, accompanied on the piano by Gerald Moore.

In these cases, I have entered:
    1) Loewe; Schumann
    2) Ballads; Songs (Fischer-Dieskau, Gerald Moore p)

Unfortunately, this does NOT create (or use, if already existant) the 1) folder "Loewe; Schumann", but just uses (or creates, if not existant already) the 1) folder "Loewe", the "Schumann" info being discarded, whilst the semicolon within the subfolder 2) is preserved, as is any information after the semicolon there.

This effect is especially awful when there are even more than 2 composers for the same CD, i.e. when there are 2 or more semicoli in folder name 1), not just one.

Could you address this, please? Could it be prevented by "escaping" the semicolon in the 1) "Album Artist" field? (As said, in the 2) "Album" field it works as expected.)

Thank you very much in advance! (Edited for typos)
    Last edited by dbpa; 11-07-2023, 09:32 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Bug: semicolon in folder name cuts folder naming

You would need:

[tags]album artist,;[]
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dbpa
      • Nov 2019

Re: Bug: semicolon in folder name cuts folder naming

Thank you very much, so it's a feature. I have to say that combining my current "Naming"
      \Album Artist\Album\(TrackNum) Title
      with
      [tags]album artist,;[]
      is too complicated for me, I just want to have several composers' names within the "Album Artist" part of the path whenever needed, no tags, and since I do that then manually anyway, I just use 2 commata in a row in that field, instead of semicola. Afterwards, I then do a global replace, for all ",," back to ";", wherever in my paths / file names, by AutoHotkey, and that works fine. I should have checked earlier, before creating havoc with my false assumption that ";" would work identically i.e. literally in all fields, my bad.

Thank you very much again!

Comment

Working...

]]>