title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WAV to FLAC hissing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulr
    • Oct 2011

WAV to FLAC hissing

Hi all, I've looked for a solution to what's happening with music conversions (WAV to FLAC) in windows 10.
    When I convert a wav file to flac the output is all hissing, no music at all. No error messages during conversion.
    Now, this USED to work no problem at all, as far as I know nothing has changed in my set up. (I used to be in IT so know that if it doesnt work now but did, then SOMETHING has changed somewhere).
    Can I be helped with some troubleshooting steps please, I profess not to know a great deal about all this stuff, would just like to get it back to where I was.
    Obviously happy to share any info etc.
    Many thanks in advance.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: WAV to FLAC hissing

Ensure no DSP effects are listed to be used during conversion.

Try converting wave >> wave (in a different location), does the wave file play ok?

Try a different player, it could be the player.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• paulr
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
      Ensure no DSP effects are listed to be used during conversion.

Try converting wave >> wave (in a different location), does the wave file play ok?

Try a different player, it could be the player.
      Thanks Spoon, done that, no DSP effects, wav to wav with default conversion settings plays ok
      All other players have the white noise on the flac file (vlc, jrivermc, musicbee, windows media player).

A discovery, if I import the wav file into JRiver Media Centre (JRMC) and then 'convert format' to flac - the flac plays! I do recall downloading flac.exe independently and 'maybe' installing it...... Is it possible dbconverter is using the 'new' version of flac and jrmc is using an older one and this is causing the issue with the db conversion?

Comment

• paulr
        • Oct 2011

I should add foobar to the list of players playing white noise with the converted flac file.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Which version of dBpoweramp do you have?

If you install Calculate audio CRC:

If you convert both the Wave and FLAC file to the encoder set as Calculate audio CRC the two CRCs shown after the conversion should match, which indicates the FLAC and wave file decode identically.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• paulr
            • Oct 2011

Run the original wav and flac into the CRC tool - both files give the same value (176D96EA). The wav-wav conversion gives the same value.
            However, the JRMC converted output flac file is a whopping 160mb file (original wav is 54mb), AND the flac file is 24bit 44.1kHz, 6 channel!! (the input wav is 16/44 2 channel).

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

R14.4 is version old, about 15 years old.

If you play an older already converted FLAC file there is no hissing?
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• paulr
                • Oct 2011

It may be old, BUT it used to work.......which kind of answers the second question, I used to be able to convert wav to flac no problem.
                I'm trying to troubleshoot this Spoon as to where the issue is, is there something 'odd' about the wav file? is it the conversion engine? something else?. The most puzzling thing for me is that it used to work ok.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

The CRC shows that dBpoweramp believes the FLAC file is identical to the wave file.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• paulr
                    • Oct 2011

What next in that case?

Comment

• paulr
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
                      The CRC shows that dBpoweramp believes the FLAC file is identical to the wave file.
                      Then if dBpoweramp believes the FLAC file is identical I really dont understand why several players will not play the flac file - something must be different surely.

Comment

• simbun
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2021

The CRC is just checking the audio, I wonder if something else in the container could be causing it?
                        What results do you get if you right click on the file in foobar and select Utilities > Verify Integrity?
                        What happens if you convert the file to FLAC in foobar?

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Perhaps the wave file has the hissing, have you tried playing it?
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>