title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

UTF-16 LE BOM (.log) and UTF-8 (.cue) - some files grep can't see.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krafty
    • Dec 2021

UTF-16 LE BOM (.log) and UTF-8 (.cue) - some files grep can't see.

Hi folks,

Hope you all are doing well.

I accidentally ripped some CDs with the DSP Channel Mapper turned on, because of a disc (John Dent, the miserable). In the end, I had to try and 'grep' the log files, to verify the string "Channel Mapper=" and identify the reversed channel rip. To my surprise, grep (Windows and Linux) did not work and I found out it is because this log file is saved in UTF-16 LE BOM. I did another test on .cue files and it worked, because they were UTF-8 files. I noticed that EAC does the same thing - it creates a UTF-16 LE BOM log and a UTF-8 cue sheet file.

The utility that eventually 'grepped' the string "Channel Mapper=" was a utility called 'ugrep'. I found the rips. But then I started wondering - why are the log files saved in this UTF-16 LE BOM format and the .cue file is saved in UTF-8?

Is it a standard? Is it a need? Can this be configured so the .log file is saved as a normal UTF-8 file? If you open the .log file in Notepad or Notepad++, you will see nothing but text - however if you 'cat' (command) this file, you will see there is 2 characters before the beginning of the word "dBpoweramp" - in Unix it appears.

But lastly, is it a standard? Need? And can it be configured to not be saved as UTF-16 LE?

Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: UTF-16 LE BOM (.log) and UTF-8 (.cue) - some files grep can't see.

The 2 characters tell the application the text file is a unicode file.

I am sorry it is not an option to write utf-8.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>