title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ReplayGain Tag

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timster67
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2014

ReplayGain Tag

Could you tell me what IDTag Replay Gain Uses? I've been offline for a while and on return I've update mp3Tag but it is no longer showing the tag value. I assumed it was an extended IDv3 tag "REPLAYGAIN" but it isn't listed, and if I try manually inputting REPLAYGAIN that doesn't work either.
    Thanks in advance.
  • simbun
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2021

Re: ReplayGain Tag

TagInspector within MusicBee is great for MP3s as it shows you the underlying tag code.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TagInspector.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	294707

Comment

• timster67
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • May 2014

That link goes nowhere but I'' try and find MusicBee. mp3Tag is fine, all I want to know is the tag ID

Comment

• simbun
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2021

Originally posted by timster67
        That link goes nowhere but I'' try and find MusicBee. mp3Tag is fine, all I want to know is the tag ID
        It looks like the forum software replaces the hashtag with an asterix, which breaks a lot of links.

I didn't intend for you to have to install MusicBee, that was a recommendation so you can help yourself in future, your answer was in the image that was attached to the post.

TXXX/REPLAYGAIN_[ALBUM|TRACK]_[GAIN|PEAK]

Comment

• timster67
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • May 2014

So it was. Thanks very much, all good now. I forgot the underscores!

Comment

• Hitarth
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Sep 2017

hi,
            has any one tried to rip, withouth ReplayGain alltogether ?

Comment

• simbun
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2021

I'd imagine most people do (I add it in a subsequent step). Why?

Comment

• timster67
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • May 2014

Of course. I originally ripped all my CDs without it. It was only after I knew about the tag I re-tagged everything. Now I tag it when ripping.

Comment

• Hitarth
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Sep 2017

well, i did rip with the iTunes setting & on some trucks i found clipping on some piano &/or honky tonk guitars ..like instruments
                  then i ripped the same CD w/o the ReplayGain & it seemed to be undercontrol.
                  i then ripped all my CDs w/o the ReplayGain & found many tracks better sounding ... also with this setting i removed the ultra secure setting completely ( sorry if not in this topic )

Comment

• simbun
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2021

You don't need to re-rip your CDs, you can just remove the replaygain tags.
                    The ultra secure setting will have nothing to do with this.

I don't know enough about this in dBpoweramp to comment really. I use foobar with True Peak scanning and 4 times oversampling, and also generally only use replaygain when I'm shuffling music not for album playback (although album is calculated).

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help.

Comment

• timster67
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • May 2014

As long as you don't use the Apply version it shouldn't matter. It doesn't alter the audio data.

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Hitarth
                        well, i did rip with the iTunes setting & on some trucks i found clipping on some piano &/or honky tonk guitars ..like instruments
                        then i ripped the same CD w/o the ReplayGain & it seemed to be undercontrol.
                        i then ripped all my CDs w/o the ReplayGain & found many tracks better sounding ... also with this setting i removed the ultra secure setting completely ( sorry if not in this topic )
                        With respect, none of these comments make any sense. ReplayGain is simply a tag, no different from GENRE or ARTIST. It only matters to playback audio if the PLAYER uses the ReplayGain tag to adjust the volume. iTunes does not use the ReplayGain tag. It has a similar tag called SOUNDCHECK, but that is also just a tag and players can be told to use it or not. The ultrasecure setting has nothing whatsoever to do with ReplayGain. It has to do with getting SECURE or AccurateRip confirmed bit perfect rips of a CD.

ReplayGain tags typically help PREVENT clipping rather than cause clipping. But again, one can simply tell the player to NOT use the ReplayGain tags. You don't need to rerip. Or if you really don't want the RG tags, simply edit the metadata in a batch manner and remove the 4 RG tags (track, album, track peak, album peak).

Comment

• simbun
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2021

If we assume that the OP knows what they're doing, what they're asking is if applying (during playback) replaygain (known as iTunes normalization in dBpoweramp) can introduce clipping, which it obviously can, more so with certain types of material.

I know there are various ways to mitigate the resulting clipping e.g. pre-amp/using the calculated peaks e.t.c. but I know nothing about dBpoweramps 'Clip-Prevention' or if iDevices do any of this.

In terms of "better sounding", apart from the potential clipping you're probably just hearing the volume difference.

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by simbun
                            In terms of "better sounding", apart from the potential clipping you're probably just hearing the volume difference.
                            Good point. Playing with NO replaygain will typically increase volume relative to playing *with* RG engaged (as most ReplayGain adjustments are negative, at least this is true on my ~130,000 tracks). And as is well known, even slightly imperceptible volume increases cause listeners to report the louder version as sounding "better" in double-blind tests.

Comment

• Hitarth
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Sep 2017

thanks very muck & appolgies for the delay in reply

Comment

Working...

]]>