title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Genre numbers instead of text

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockito
    • Sep 2023

Genre numbers instead of text

I don't know why, but some genre tags are displayed as numbers (152, 153...) in music players. Tagging seems ok (tried with many taggers and ID versions) and with other UPNP servers it works. I already have put 'genre,TEXT' in the database fields at Asset UPNP.
    What could I do?
  • simbun
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2021

Re: Genre numbers instead of text

ID3v1 used to store numbers instead of the literal genre values, it was then up to the player to translate (I assume).

I just had a quick test and it looks like AssetUPnP does do that (for the ones I tested) so it must be that it's only doing that translation for a defined set of values.
    Looking at this page you can see that it evolved over time, so maybe it doesn't include the latest batch.

So two options really, wait for AssetUPnP to support them or move to a more "modern" standard.
    If you look at your files in Mp3tag does the Tag column indicate that you have more than one version e.g. "ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3)"?

Comment

• rockito
      • Sep 2023

I don't think it's because ID3v1. I have ID3v2.4 tags, maybe partly also ID3v1.

The strange thing is I now tried it with another tagger (easytag, puddeltag before) and now the numbers are gone.
      I did it one time before but now I rebuild the database completely.

But now some disks are in the (Unknown Genre), especially Various Artists disks. I tried it once again and the songs are staying in (Unknown Genre).

Comment

• rockito
        • Sep 2023

Ah, ok, now I know why the numbers weren't gone before. I then checked with JRiver (and didn't upgrade the database) and now I checked with Upplay (without database).
        But what to do against (Unknown Genre)?

Comment

• rockito
          • Sep 2023

And what's really strange - I changed some tags of (Unknown Genre).
          Now they are ok. But others that had a genre before now are '(Unknown genre)"!

Comment

• simbun
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2021

Can you confirm where you're seeing '(Unknown Genre)'? I'm assuming you're serving it with AssetUPnP and seeing it through a control point, but it's difficult to follow as you keep mentioning other products.

If you look at one of the files within the '(Unknown Genre)' category, what ID3 tags do they have, v1, v2.3, v2.4?
            I've always found MusicBee's Tag Inspector useful when looking at MP3's.

If MusicBee doesn't show anything obvious is it possible to trim (keep just the first 10 seconds or so) one of the files (make sure it still shows the problem) and link to it in a post (don't share the whole file obviously)?
            Last edited by simbun; 09-28-2023, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• rockito
              • Sep 2023

Yes, I see '(Unknown Genre)' through a control point (called 'Upplay'), but I also tried other control points. It always shows '(Unknown Genre').

I'm under Linux so I can't use this tag inspector. But I tagged all with puddletag to ID3v2.4 (also tried v2.3).

And I think there is a bug with AssetUPNP in combination with my files, because my Synology server works. All tags are shown like they should.
              But I like the options in asset. Might reinstallation help?

Comment

• simbun
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2021

If you're on Linux create a truncated version of one of the problem files with:
                Code:
                sox source.mp3 trimmed.mp3 trim 0 2
                and attach it back here.

Unfortunately it does perform some manipulation of the tags, but short of seeing the actual file itself it's probably the best we can do.

Comment

• rockito
                  • Sep 2023

Thank you - now I got it!
                  There was the message: sox WARN mp3-util: "165" is not a recognized ID3v1 genre.
                  And I saw in puddeltag it's possible to have v1 and v2 tags at the same time.
                  But it's also possible to delete the v1 tags. And now there's no problem anymore.
                  I don't think I have any devices needing ID3v1.

Comment

• simbun
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2021

So you're telling me I was right all along?

At least you got there in the end

Comment

• rockito
                      • Sep 2023

Originally posted by simbun
                      So you're telling me I was right all along?)

Yes, of course - but I didn't know there can be both tags!

Comment

• simbun
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2021

Originally posted by rockito
                        yes, of course - but i didn't know there can be both tags!
                        Originally posted by simbun
                        if you look at your files in mp3tag does the tag column indicate that you have more than one version e.g. "id3v2.3 (id3v1 id3v2.3)"?

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by rockito
                          I have ID3v2.4 tags, maybe partly also ID3v1.
                          and in very next post, he said some may have ID3v1. Oh well alls well that ends well.

Comment

Working...

]]>