title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Getting correct cover files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ronel
    • Sep 2023

Getting correct cover files

I am finding that some albums covers are not discovered by CD Ripper. These are not esoteric in any way. Most annoying is the fact that I have found most of the covers using the Discogs site. This is supposed to be a reference site for CD Ripper. Am I missing anything in settings. I have all the sources ticked.

Thanks for any help.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Getting correct cover files

Discogs has no direct link from CD TOC to image, so even though an image might be in discogs there is no easy way for CD Ripper to get it.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ronel
      • Sep 2023

I find this difficult to accept as Discogs is one of the listed Active providers for metadata, which I would have assumed is linked to the cd covers. If their is no link how is CD Ripper be able to show covers for the majority of CDs ?
      As other software can discover the missing covers I would have hoped that a piece of software that I selected because of this advertised facility and paid out for would be as good if not better than the other software.
      While I appreciate the FLAC ripping and some of the other facilities I am disappointed with the poor performance of the CD cover retrieval and ID tag editing in Perfect Tunes.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

I have ripped about 5,000 CDs with dbpa. I would say 99% have correct, good quality cover art with no intervention needed from me.

Comment

• Dat Ei
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2014

Metadata are retrieved from the databases, album arts from a web search - so my understanding.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

We have our own internal database which allows the lookup from CD to Discogs.

Our main provider is GD3 which has art, the 2nd is Musicbrainz which also has art, the 3rd database is discogs, you are wanting a CD Ripper to lookup everything in discogs, nothing on the planet can do that, it simply does not exist, however you are able to do a manual search in discogs from within CD Ripper, it takes just 10 seconds of your time.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Originally posted by ronel
              poor performance of the CD cover retrieval and ID tag editing in Perfect Tunes.
              As far as we know there are no issues with ID Tagging in perfecttunes, any tags changed would be written to all the formats supported by PerfectTUNES.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ronel
                • Sep 2023

Ok I get it I am the one who has the issue. Thank you for the replies. I am sorry if this comes across as negative it is disappointment and frustration. The ripping part of the software is fine but the web site says "GD3, Discogs, SonataDB, Musicbrainz & freedb, provide rich names & high resolution album artwork." as well as "CD Ripper can search the entire Internet and show matching art for you to choose". It must be my CD collection as I have had several CDs where no cover is found or the images shown match the title of the CD but are just generic photographs. The latest instance has been CD Ripper correctly identifying CD2 out of a double CD but not CD1 ! Other CD's are in Discogs and freedb but I need to do a manual retrieval - or use other software which reduces the effectiveness and the point of using one software package.
                While I am impressed with the ripping facilities I am moving to something else for the Metadata checks. I accept that I have wasted a little money but you live and learn. I should remember the way software has always been overhyped.

Comment

• GBrown
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ronel
                  The latest instance has been CD Ripper correctly identifying CD2 out of a double CD but not CD1 ! Other CD's are in Discogs and freedb but I need to do a manual retrieval - or use other software which reduces the effectiveness and the point of using one software package.
                  Can you share some actual examples of discs you are having a hard time with? So far you have only made general comments that don't have something to compare.

In my experience, there are always going to be some challenges getting metadata and album art that is satisfying for my personal preferences. PerfectTunes helps with the metadata using multiple sources to more accurately return what should be correct. Often the artwork especially is subpar, as there are too many sources out there that share the same (poor) original that floods the search. This includes the options even from your preferred Discogs site. I have often used artwork instead from albumartexchange but sometimes even there I find some album covers are not available.

Bottom line for me is that there just isn't one absolute package that can get everything right 100% of the time when it comes to music. Ripping, tagging, and artwork are three distinct components of building a digital library, and there will always be differences in what each person wants for their collection.

Comment

• Jazzking
                    • Dec 2023

I hope i am good here, can anyone tell me what is the right album cover size? And what extension do you use? JPG or PNG ? thanks in advance for your answer ( I use Album Art downloader to get my missing album covers)

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

I personally use 1000x1000, jpg.

Comment

• GBrown
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Jazzking
                        I hope i am good here, can anyone tell me what is the right album cover size? And what extension do you use? JPG or PNG ? thanks in advance for your answer ( I use Album Art downloader to get my missing album covers)
                        I don't think there is a true standard, it is more personal preference and what your library management and player need. I find jpg is more widely accepted (do not use progressive mode images). The iTunes default size used to be 600x600 but more recently seems to have jumped up to 1200x1200.

Comment

• miggs
                          • Jul 2020

I use iTunes cover art. Very easy to download from this website.

Comment

• Mike-B
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Aug 2018

I normally use the art that comes with the dBpoweramp rip, but if I fancy something better I look in the dBpoweramp web offerings.
                            The biggest I've tried is 2000x2000, however its really not visually different from a 1000x1000 in the screen size of my Naim app & mid sized iPad.
                            I normally use .jpg as they take up less space than the same pixel sized .png.

Comment

• simbun
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Apr 2021

Any recommendations for image resizers?

I've recently moved to Radical Image Optimisation Tool that's far better than what I was using (Paint.NET) but I haven't tried many. I keep the original images at full resolution and resize to 1000x1000 ~320KB max for use with music servers.

Comment

Working...

]]>