title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripper creates two different folders for one CD and splits files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eulipian
    • Sep 2023

Ripper creates two different folders for one CD and splits files

I've read the sticky and spent hours trying to get a multi-CD set to put all tracks into one folder with tracks numbered sequentially.

Naming string: [composer]\[album]-[album artist]-[year]\[disc].[track]

dbpoweramp settings: MultiCD "never"

I've done about 30 test rips and tried both Dicogs and SonataDB as metadata sources.

I've reset the "year" value in the metadata to "1979 (RE 1999)" then just used 1979, the SonataDB default, to avoid errors between discs.

Using a single disc most of the tracks rip to: D:\Music-Digital\Baroque\Johann Sebastian Bach\Bach - The Cello Suites-Anner Bylsma-1979

However, two go into a folder named: D:\Music-Digital\Baroque\Johann Sebastian Bach\Bach - The Cello Suites-Anner Bylsma-1979 (RE 1999)

This is random and as if dbpoweramp stores data about the prior rip somewhere and forces a renaming where I don't want one.

After hours of experimenting I'm ready to throw in the towel and look for another solution.

Order of operations is: load disc, select tagging source from red tag, modify title, artist and year in metadata panel, rip.

I don't understand how two tracks end up in a separate folder when the naming string and metadata are applied to the whole disc.

Windows 11, 64 bit, intel N95. None of that should matter.

Thanks for any information or ideas.
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Ripper creates two different folders for one CD and splits files

You hace used different content for the year tag. You can assign the tag for the complete CD and all tracks ir for each track individually. Check before ripping.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Eulipian
      • Sep 2023

Originally posted by Dat Ei
      You hace used different content for the year tag. You can assign the tag for the complete CD and all tracks ir for each track individually. Check before ripping.

Dat Ei
      This is not correct. I did check. What I believe is happening is that there is some stored information from a prior rip that is being substituted. I do several test rips of one track from each disc to see which naming and tagging produce the results I want. Once I choose and see that both tracks from both discs are being ripped into a single folder with a common name, I then use the same naming and tagging for the whole disc. I think that's clear from my post.

I just rechecked this using a single track from the two discs. Even though the naming string and metadata are the same dbpoweramp still makes two separate folders, one for each test track. I know, two folders cannot have the same names, but that's what I'm getting.

If you have ideas about that scenario or if I can clarify it further I'd appreciate some help.
      Last edited by Eulipian; 09-23-2023, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• simbun
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2021

Can you attach a screenshot of your CD Ripper interface once you've made all the necessary tag changes and are ready to rip?
        Please make sure you have all the tracks selected (click on a single track then hit Ctrl+A) and have the Year tag visible within the Tags window (see attached screenshot).

Click image for larger version

Name:	CDRipper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	294704

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

On the track listing, you can right click and enable the filename column, which will make debugging it faster.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Sometimes this splitting for no apparent reason happens to me because of a tag field that I'm not aware is being used. For example, maybe disctotal is filled in for one track but not the other track. I load up files into mp3tag, select, right click and choose "extended tags" and this often shows me different tag fields, some I wasn't aware had any values.

Comment

• Eulipian
              • Sep 2023

Originally posted by garym
              Sometimes this splitting for no apparent reason happens to me because of a tag field that I'm not aware is being used.
              Yes, I think I may have caused this by using meta data from 2 different sources on the same CD. I found a short tutorial on youtube that showed how to set fields by clicking on meta data from the various sources--discogs, etc.--in the red tag tab.

I'm getting the results I was seeking now, but realize that the program has a LOT of features I don't understand how to use.

I wish there were video tutorials available from newb to advanced. I'm sure I'll get half way through this project and say "Oh s*$*! I wish I knew I could have done that!"

I appreciate your help. I've downloaded meta tag but expect that's used for clean up after ripping?

Thanks.

Comment

• Eulipian
                • Sep 2023

Originally posted by simbun
                Can you attach a screenshot of your CD Ripper interface once you've made all the necessary tag changes and are ready to rip?
                Please make sure you have all the tracks selected (click on a single track then hit Ctrl+A) and have the Year tag visible within the Tags window (see attached screenshot).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3611[/ATTACH]
                This naming string [composer]\[album] - [album artist] - [year]\[disc].[track][soloistssort]

results in discs being written to different folders with the same names.

Name:	DBPoweramp 1.jpg
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	294708

I believe one of the issues is that the online tags conflict. Sonata has only disc 1; I conform the information used in the naming string when using Music Brainz data on discs 2 and 3, but I expect there is additional meta data that causes them to be read as different sources. For example, I can see the cover art is different (and wrong for both). And, the album title for one is "Norma" the other is "Bellini - Norma"

Do I have to enter all the data for all discs manually to get all tracks into one folder?

Can I edit in the red tag page or in the meta data tag for all tracks window at the bottom?

I may be expecting too much or missing something simple, but I've got a lot of opera discs and this is taking so much time I think it may not be worth it, especially if I have to manually tag everything.

Thanks for any help. I appreciate your time. If there's a step-by-step or stick I should read, please let me know.

Comment

• simbun
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Eulipian
                  This naming string [composer]\[album] - [album artist] - [year]\[disc].[track][soloistssort]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3619[/ATTACH]

I believe one of the issues is that the online tags conflict. Sonata has only disc 1; I conform the information used in the naming string when using Music Brainz data on discs 2 and 3, but I expect there is additional meta data that causes them to be read as different sources.
                  I'm aware of that and if you had included the screenshot that I requested in post 4 you'd probably find that it was down to a couple of the tracks having year tags of "1961 [RE 1989]".

Do I have to enter all the data for all discs manually to get all tracks into one folder?

Can I edit in the red tag page or in the meta data tag for all tracks window at the bottom?
                  The metadata that dBpoweramp pulls will be correct in the vast majority of cases, but it's always worth double checking and correcting where necessary, either in the track listing (if it's a problem with an individual track) or in the Tags window at the bottom (with all tracks selected) if it's a problem that affects every track.

Comment

• Eulipian
                    • Sep 2023

[QUOTE=simbun;217000]I'm aware of that and if you had included the screenshot that I requested in post 4 you'd probably find that it was down to a couple of the tracks having year tags of "1961 [RE 1989]".

It was not clear to me what screenshot you wanted: folder names, track listing in dbpoweramp, track listing on hard drive?

Dbpoweramp track listing:

Name:	DB poweramp track list.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	294709

Dbpoweramp tag list:

Name:	dbpoweramp tag window.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	294710

Norma Disc 1

Name:	DBPoweramp disc 1.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	294711

Norma Disc 3

Name:	DBPoweramp disc 3.jpg
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	294712

If there's something else that would help please let me know.

Thanks again for your time.

Comment

• simbun
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2021

[QUOTE=Eulipian;217009]
                      Originally posted by simbun
                      I'm aware of that and if you had included the screenshot that I requested in post 4 you'd probably find that it was down to a couple of the tracks having year tags of "1961 [RE 1989]".

It was not clear to me what screenshot you wanted: folder names, track listing in dbpoweramp, track listing on hard drive?
                      I included a picture of what I was after in the post.

From your first screenshot you can see that you have '1961 [RE 1989]' in the Year tag at the top of the screen and in the Tags section at the bottom.
                      If you select a file in the track listing and hit Ctrl+A to select all tracks (they should be highlighted blue as in my previous picture), does the Year field at the bottom show the same value as the top? If it does, then I'm afraid I can't think of any reason why the tracks would be split out into different folders.
                      If you compare the files across directories, do they have different Year tags? I assume they do.
                      Last edited by simbun; 10-03-2023, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• GBrown
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Oct 2009

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3619[/ATTACH]

I believe one of the issues is that the online tags conflict. Sonata has only disc 1; I conform the information used in the naming string when using Music Brainz data on discs 2 and 3, but I expect there is additional meta data that causes them to be read as different sources. For example, I can see the cover art is different (and wrong for both). And, the album title for one is "Norma" the other is "Bellini - Norma"

I may be expecting too much or missing something simple, but I've got a lot of opera discs and this is taking so much time I think it may not be worth it, especially if I have to manually tag everything.

Thanks for any help. I appreciate your time. If there's a step-by-step or stick I should read, please let me know.
                        Look more closely at this screenshot. The second folder ends with a curly bracket, not a square bracket. Whatever tracks are stored within this folder needs to be looked at to find what year data was wrong and forced this separate name.

Comment

• Eulipian
                          • Sep 2023

[QUOTE=simbun;217014]
                          I included a picture of what I was after in the post.

If you compare the files across directories, do they have different Year tags? I assume they do.

Sorry for missing what you posted. At least one of my screenshots was on point.

On the other point, though, in the directories into which they were copied, nothing is listed in "Year" when I add that to the listed characteristics.

GBrown nailed it: "The second folder ends with a curly bracket, not a square bracket."

It's a very powerful program but like all digital tools, it's literal to character. I have two folders because the albums have different names.

I'm going to keep working with it. Obviously, for single discs this will be much easier. It's just that even for rock/pop records, I tend often have "the complete X recordings of Y" so the multi-disc thing just requires more attention.

Someone suggested using MP3tag after ripping, but I'm not sure what's gained by doing that.

Again, I'm grateful for the continuing help and time.

Comment

• Eulipian
                            • Sep 2023

Originally posted by GBrown
                            Look more closely at this screenshot. The second folder ends with a curly bracket, not a square bracket. Whatever tracks are stored within this folder needs to be looked at to find what year data was wrong and forced this separate name.
                            Not wise of me to try this late in the day after work. Thank you for pointing out my mistake. Will try again.

Comment

• Eulipian
                              • Sep 2023

Now everything is the same for disc 1 and 2. Tagged from Music Brainz.

Name:	Dbpoweramp.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	294713Click image for larger version

Name:	Dbpoweramp.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	294713

Dbpa makes a different directory for disc 2 with an extra space and an - I am not adding the space or the -. Again, I can't get multiple discs into one folder.

Name:	Folders.jpg
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	294714

Cannot see what I'm doing wrong here.

Comment

Working...

]]>