title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Folder Stucture?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nygren
    • Sep 2023

Folder Stucture?

Hello,

I am new here. I recently purchased and downloaded some music and the default folder structure is different than I am use to. I want your thoughts. It is: Album Artist\Album\Disc number\TrackNum - Title. I never thought of organizing my music like this. It does seem cleaner for box sets, instead of having multiple CDs from the same set under "Various Artists." I am trying to decide if I want to organize all my music this way. I am not sure if there are other good resources on how to organize music. Thanks!
    Last edited by nygren; 09-06-2023, 09:50 PM.
  • simbun
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2021

Re: Folder Stucture?

I've been using this approach for years and it's a fairly common one.

The driving force behind this setup for me was that I found external artwork to be more compatible, so it required I use one folder per disc in order for each to have unique artwork - primarily for box-sets.

I've tested this approach against a lot of servers and haven't had a problem with any of them.

I do use "%date% - %album%" to help avoid collisions, and then "%discnumber%.%tracknumber%" for filenames because there's really no reason not to.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by nygren
      It is: Album Artist\Album\Disc number\TrackNum - Title
      I have always used this approach for multidisk sets.

Comment

• nygren
        • Sep 2023

Originally posted by simbun
        I do use "%date% - %album%" to help avoid collisions, and then "%discnumber%.%tracknumber%" for filenames because there's really no reason not to.
        Thanks! Can you elaborate on this. I am not sure what you mean?

Comment

• nygren
          • Sep 2023

Originally posted by garym
          I have always used this approach for multidisk sets.
          Thanks! I will too.

Comment

• simbun
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2021

Originally posted by nygren
            Thanks! Can you elaborate on this. I am not sure what you mean?
            I have a number of albums for which I have multiple releases e.g. remasters, so I prefix the name of the album with the release year e.g.
            Code:
            Wonder, Stevie/2010 - Music Of My Mind/CD01/...
            Wonder, Stevie/2012 - Music Of My Mind/CD01/...
            A lot of people will have added '2012 Remaster' to the album tag and used that as the folder name so it wouldn't be necessary, but I capture the remaster date in another tag and keep the album name correct.

Regarding the filename, I just meant that I use:
            Code:
            01.01.flac
            01.02.flac
            I'm never going to look at the filenames so this keeps things simple.

Comment

• thexfile
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jul 2010

Code:
              [album artist] - [album] ([year])\Disk [disc]\[disc].[track]. [title]
              That will work too.

Comment

• simbun
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2021

Originally posted by thexfile
                Code:
                [album artist] - [album] ([year])\Disk [disc]\[disc].[track]. [title]
                That will work too.
                AlbumArtist has a one to many relationship to Albums so it's better (in my opinion) if the folder structures reflect that.

Having a single AlbumArtist folder also gives you somewhere to place AlbumArtist specific files e.g. artwork, urls e.t.c.

Comment

• Eulipian
                  • Sep 2023

AlbumArtist has a one to many relationship to Albums so it's better (in my opinion) if the folder structures reflect that.

Having a single AlbumArtist folder also gives you somewhere to place AlbumArtist specific files e.g. artwork, urls e.t.c.
                  Related question: with multiple CD sets by a single artist, the default setting creates a separate folder for each disc, with each tack in each disc folder numbered from 1-X. Manually combining them in a single folder will result in duplicate track numbers. Is it possible to rip them into a single folder in correct order--disc 1-X--but with each track numbered sequentially, so that they play by disc order and number? I have a lot of classical and live recordings that I want to play from disc 1 track 1 to disc x track x in order.

Also, some CD sets have symphony 1 and 4 on disc 1 and 3 and 8 on disc 2, etc. I assume that these would have to be re-tagged manually to have them play in order?

I've only downloaded and tried the program out a couple times, but meta-tagging is superior to other programs I've seen and I like the interface. It's impressive.

Thanks for any help.

Aloha from the 5-O

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Eulipian
                    Related question: with multiple CD sets by a single artist, the default setting creates a separate folder for each disc, with each tack in each disc folder numbered from 1-X. Manually combining them in a single folder will result in duplicate track numbers. Is it possible to rip them into a single folder in correct order--disc 1-X--but with each track numbered sequentially, so that they play by disc order and number? I have a lot of classical and live recordings that I want to play from disc 1 track 1 to disc x track x in order.

Aloha from the 5-O
                    yes. You can place in single album folder. Just use disk number in metadata and disk number in the naming string. So tracks would be 1.01, 1.02, 2.01, 2.02, etc.

Comment

• simbun
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2021

Most players will use the discnumber and tracknumber tags to order playback, but as @garym suggested you could begin your filenames with "[disc].[track]" (assuming you've configured to pad both with zeros).

Also, some CD sets have symphony 1 and 4 on disc 1 and 3 and 8 on disc 2, etc. I assume that these would have to be re-tagged manually to have them play in order?
                      I generally avoid changing discnumber and tracknumber tags as they're used by verification and tagging tools to identify the album/disc, maybe a playlist would be better.

Comment

• Eulipian
                        • Sep 2023

Most players will use the discnumber and tracknumber tags to order playback, but as @garym suggested you could begin your filenames with "[disc].[track]" (assuming you've configured to pad both with zeros).

I generally avoid changing discnumber and tracknumber tags as they're used by verification and tagging tools to identify the album/disc, maybe a playlist would be better.
                        Each disc is being ripped to a separate file labelled Album/Disc * I want them all in one folder with sequential track numbers in the order they would appear if the discs were played in order from 1-x.

Thanks.

Comment

• Eulipian
                          • Sep 2023

yes. You can place in single album folder. Just use disk number in metadata and disk number in the naming string. So tracks would be 1.01, 1.02, 2.01, 2.02, etc.
                          I've resolved the issue of disc.track numbering and understand how to do that. But "album" automatically tags with a disc number.

Example: D:\Music-Digital\Baroque\Johann Sebastian Bach\6 Suites à Violoncello solo senza Basso Disc 1-Anner Bylsma

Naming used: [composer]\[album]-[soloists]\[disc].[track]

I can manually remove "Disc 1-x" before ripping, but each disc still rips to a separate folder. I can manually move them all to one folder and sort if I tag each track as "disc.track" But there must be a way of using the the programmable strings to avoid the manual steps that I just don't understand.

I spent about 2 hours trying out various ideas but the issue seems to be that the metadata for album title are present and read by dbpoweramp even if the "album" name has been modified using the metadata field.

Also "Contributing Artists" in the disc folder sometimes repeats the composer's name, sometimes the performer's. I want it to be the performers for classical records. I don't see the point of repeating the "album" name in the track folder but when I get rid of it in the metadata it also deletes it from the folder name where it belongs.

Thank you for any help and apologies if I've missed something obvious.

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

I've resolved the issue of disc.track numbering and understand how to do that. But "album" automatically tags with a disc number.

Example: D:\Music-Digital\Baroque\Johann Sebastian Bach\6 Suites à Violoncello solo senza Basso Disc 1-Anner Bylsma

Naming used: [composer]\[album]-[soloists]\[disc].[track]

I can manually remove "Disc 1-x" before ripping, but each disc still rips to a separate folder. I can manually move them all to one folder and sort if I tag each track as "disc.track" But there must be a way of using the the programmable strings to avoid the manual steps that I just don't understand.

I spent about 2 hours trying out various ideas but the issue seems to be that the metadata for album title are present and read by dbpoweramp even if the "album" name has been modified using the metadata field.

Also "Contributing Artists" in the disc folder sometimes repeats the composer's name, sometimes the performer's. I want it to be the performers for classical records. I don't see the point of repeating the "album" name in the track folder but when I get rid of it in the metadata it also deletes it from the folder name where it belongs.

Thank you for any help and apologies if I've missed something obvious.
                            It's a setting. In CD Ripper, choose upper right menu (green 'list' icon), then choose "CD Ripper Options". Then under "tags and filenames" choose "metadata and ID tag". Within this menu of options, for "MutiCD add Disk to Album" choose the option "never". Then click OK to save all this.

contributing artist issue: You can make the folder name and file names anything you want based on all or part of the metadata. Just modify your naming string.You can save different naming strings under different CD ripper profiles (lower left of CD ripper screen). You may want different naming strings for pop music vs classical music.
                            Last edited by garym; 09-21-2023, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Eulipian
                              • Sep 2023

It's a setting. In CD Ripper, choose upper right menu (green 'list' icon), then choose "CD Ripper Options". Then under "tags and filenames" choose "metadata and ID tag". Within this menu of options, for "MutiCD add Disk to Album" choose the option "never". Then click OK to save all this.

contributing artist issue: You can make the folder name and file names anything you want based on all or part of the metadata. Just modify your naming string.You can save different naming strings under different CD ripper profiles (lower left of CD ripper screen). You may want different naming strings for pop music vs classical music.
                              Thanks so much for explaining this so clearly.

I understand that the default naming string is pretty standard and have read the forum posts and others on other forums as to what's "ideal." I'm just starting to use the program and don't want to have to redo after I rip half my collection. So, I'm trying to experiment and come up with a few standard profiles for classical, pop, opera, world/folk and jazz. Each one has different considerations specific to the genre.

This is a very clever and highly flexible program. Thanks for helping me level up my understanding of its features and for the clear reply. BTW, dbpoweramp is highly recommended in the Audio Science Review forums, which is how I found it.

EDIT: Changed the setting on "MutiCD add Disk to Album" to "never" but disc number still in the album name:

D:\Music-Digital\Baroque\Johann Sebastian Bach\6 Suites à Violoncello solo senza Basso Disc 1-Anner Bylsma
                              Last edited by Eulipian; 09-21-2023, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>