title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FLAC Track Numbering Sequentially for Accurate Playing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GBrown
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2009

Re: FLAC Track Numbering Sequentially for Accurate Playing

Originally posted by Tom Swaman
    To try to clarify, a FLAC folder called Music Man's Complete Symphonies is sold containing the four symphonies of Music man consisting of 20 flac tracks not numbered in consecutive sequence from 01 to 20, Since the tracks are not sequentially numbered, the folder will not play Sym. 1, 2, 3, 4 in order. I need to learn how to renumber the 20 tracks so as to play the four symphonies in proper orfer.
    Clarifying - The filenames do not includes track or disc numbers, so the order is alphabetical when browsing by folder? But do these same tracks contain metadata values for those fields? Most modern players prefer the metadata approach. If you want to use the folder method in your case, you can update the filenames from existing metadata tag values, so they return to order in your browser. Like others have suggested, I use mp3tag for this renaming.

Comment

• Tom Swaman
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Oct 2011

Simbun,
      Much appreciation and I will do as you suggest. I also will always save a backup folder to avoid screw-ups. By the way, BluOS is positively excellent and it is continually being improved. The Bluesound streamers that work with BluOS are positively excellent as is the available support. The sound output is good quality and posesses a true presence that is rare to hear. I have used systems costing many, many times the price and this is the best I have encountered. Incidentally, I have about 160,00 tracks and BluOS handles all beautifully including large custom playlists that are very easy to back-uo. This is not a commercial, but rather a success story.

Comment

• simbun
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2021

As I said I have heard good things of BluOS, my criticism was only of its local tag support, although I don't think it's any worse than the other manufacturers that roll their own e.g. Sonos.

I've been using a UPnP solution for over a decade now, and once you've had the ability to use any tags you like, it's very difficult to go back to the basic Genre/Artist indexing approach.

Comment

• Tom Swaman
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Oct 2011

Sibun, I have done as you suggest and all worked well.

Many thanks,

Tom Laronge

Comment

• simbun
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2021

That's great to hear.

Enjoy the music!

Comment

• Eulipian
              • Sep 2023

Originally posted by simbun
              Whilst I've heard good things of BluOS generally its local metadata support isn't one of them, and because it doesn't support UPnP you're a bit stuck.

The following instructions assume you want to merge all the discs into a single album, and that each folder represents a disc.

Please take a backup copy of this boxset before making any changes.

For simplicity I've chosen to use Mp3tag, so download and install it (a portable installation is fine).
              You then need to drag each folder onto the Mp3tag window in the order they appear in the box-set. NOTE: By default, dragging a folder onto the Mp3tag window will replace any existing files so hold down Ctrl when dragging.

Once all the discs are in Mp3tag and in the correct order, choose the menu item 'Convert > Auto-numbering wizard', then configure the options as follows:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3601[/ATTACH]

Finally click OK.

You should now have DiscNumbers of 1-X and TrackNumbers 1-X within each disc.

If you index your files they should now appear as a single playable item.
              I followed these instructions but they did not number the files as expected.

Example: The Magic of Jascha Heifetz Discs 1-3. The 3 discs are ripped into separate folders. The folders are named with the album name followed by "Disc x" The 3 folders reside in a parent folder "Jascha Heifetz"

Within each of the three folders the tracks are numbered as they run on the disc 1-x. When I drag all 3 folders into Mp3tag, they are listed by track number. Thus, there are multiple 1s, 2s, 3s, etc.

Using the Auto-numbering wizard with the selections shown in the jpg does not change the tags to what I was expecting, which is Disc* Track* Track name, etc that I can save to one folder that will play sequentially running from disc 1 track 1 to disc 3 track x. I'm trying to understand how to accomplish this result, if it can be accomplished, without having to manually retag everything.

Thanks for your generous assistance.
              Last edited by Eulipian; 09-17-2023, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>