title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Requirements of R 128 are not always met when applying replaygain while converting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uli Nobbe
    • Apr 2020

Requirements of R 128 are not always met when applying replaygain while converting

Hello, maybe it's a general behavior determined by the algorithm, but I found it in the Batch Converter.

I wanted to convert FLAC to mp3 using "apply replaygain" as a test. Seems that this is hardcoded to -18 LUFS, when I understand the Changelog correctly. So I didn't change any of the values there.

Well, the results are good (most at -17,9 LUFS, but this is within he specification). However, some files were measured with a maximum True Peak above -1 dBfs. This violates the R 128 specification.
    This happens especially using good mastered tracks from the 1980s or earlier.

Would you please check if the algorithm follows the -1 dB True Peak max determination?
    Actually it seems that the converter tries to achieve -18 LUFS without watching other values.

For example, if there is a track applied to
    -17,9 LUFS at -0,1 dB True Peak
    ... it should be reduced to ...
    -18,8 LUFS at -1,0 dB True Peak
    (minus 0,9 dB on the applied loudness of this track).

I think there is a bug in the algorithm, maybe it's general wherever this calculation is used in dBpoweramp.

Thank you
  • PeterP
    Super Moderator
    • Jul 2011

Re: Requirements of R 128 are not always met when applying replaygain while convertin

Thanks for the bug report.

I can confirm your observations, -1 dBfs true peak limiting isn't being applied, only 0 dBfs limiting without true peak.

We're addressing this for the next update.

Comment

Working...

]]>