title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping 2 releases of The Very Best of Marvin Gaye.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miggs
    • Jul 2020

Ripping 2 releases of The Very Best of Marvin Gaye.

I am trying to rip 2 versions of Marvin Gaye - The Very best of Marvin Gaye.
    One is a single disc 22 track version distributed by Polydor 1994. One is a 2 disc 21 track version distributed by MasterSong 2006.

What is the best way to rip them?

If I rip them with both titled 'The Very Best Of Marvin Gaye', CD ripper puts them in the same folder. Then Apple Music and Plex blend them into a single release with 43 tracks.

Is there a way to have two albums with the same album title, but keep them seperate?
    The only way I have found that works, is to call them 'The Very best of Marvin Gaye 1' & 'The Very best of Marvin Gaye 2'. Not ideal.

Thanks
  • schmidj
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2013

Re: Ripping 2 releases of The Very Best of Marvin Gaye.

Yes, I use different album titles. With every "best of" album, which there are many, I add, in parenthesis the record company - The Very Best of Marvin Gaye(Motown) - The Very Best of Marvin Gaye (Rhino) -

In fact you'll sometimes see the metadata providers doing the same thing.

I still got "burnt" at least once. Verve put out two different "best of" albums for the same jazz artist! I caught that quite by chance. I think I added the release date to the titles of those.

Comment

• GBrown
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Oct 2009

I have only one case myself with Queen releasing two different "Greatest Hits" albums. Without wanting to have them appear visually different than other albums, I replaced the standard <space> character between the words with the Unicode "non-breaking space" so that these would be sorted separately.

Comment

• simbun
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2021

You may simply be able to prepend the release year to the album:
        Code:
        ...\AlbumArtist\Year - Album\
        For me that still results in some duplicates so I have more complex logic, but it sounds like it should suit you for now at least.
        I think that'll work for Plex, no idea about Apple Music though.

Comment

• Crawdad
          • Jul 2023

Originally posted by GBrown
          I have only one case myself with Queen releasing two different "Greatest Hits" albums. Without wanting to have them appear visually different than other albums, I replaced the standard <space> character between the words with the Unicode "non-breaking space" so that these would be sorted separately.
          Actually they released three.

Comment

Working...

]]>