title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: CD Ripper: freedb no longer responds, please allow (or preset) gnudb as substitute

  1. #1

    CD Ripper: freedb no longer responds, please allow (or preset) gnudb as substitute

    Hi! Long-time and enormously pleased and grateful dbPowerAmp user here.

    As you doubtless know, DC Ripper depends on internet databases for metadata. A particularly important metadaa source, freedb, hasn't been working for several years now. The gauntlet for that metadata support is now born by gnudb.

    Please change the references from freedb to gnudb. Or better yet, let there be a user-editable field to change that reference.

    The version of dbPowerAmp that I've been using on my Windows 10 PC is R16.6. If this issue has beee addressed already in an even more recent update, please let me know.

    This has been done in recent versions of mp3tag. Surely it's worth the modest effort to make the necessary change(s) to CD Ripper as well.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    434

    Re: CD Ripper: freedb no longer responds, please allow (or preset) gnudb as substitut

    Quote Originally Posted by ajgoldberg88 View Post
    This has been done in recent versions of mp3tag. Surely it's worth the modest effort to make the necessary change(s) to CD Ripper as well.
    Search for 'freedb' in the dBpoweramp release notes page for the timelines of the transition away from freedb.

  3. #3

    Re: CD Ripper: freedb no longer responds, please allow (or preset) gnudb as substitut

    Ah! I see dbPowerAmp is now up to Ref. 17.7. I'll try updating. Thanks, simbun, for the help.

  4. #4

    Re: CD Ripper: freedb no longer responds, please allow (or preset) gnudb as substitut

    OK, so I tried the newly updated software and the freedb problem has been solved. Thanks. My Bad.

    FWIW, this is what started this issue for me. I recently acquired the Karajan Sibelius DG collection (which is superb). When I tried to rip certain disks, all I was retrieving were Japanese tags from one particular site. Nothing was showing up from the customary MusicBrainz or freedb sites. Turns out I needed to turn off the Manual Metadata option. Now the multiple retrieves giving choices now shows up as expected. Completely satisfied.

    Thanks for listening. Problem solved!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •