title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Serving "composer" tag instead of "artist" tag ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simbun
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2021

Re: Serving "composer" tag instead of "artist" tag ?

Hi @PeterP,

In helping out another user I got to test the [SimpleArtist] override and it's not doing what I would expect it to, both from my undertstanding of the initial requirement and from the description of the override in the documenation.

The description states:
    [SimpleArtist] to not supply composer, conductor or album artist (only artist) for track details to player
    Yet if we look at what's being sent to the player we can see a number of changes

Before:
    Code:
    <dc:title>Cold Heart</dc:title>
    <dc:creator>Elton John; Dua Lipa</dc:creator>
    <dc:date>2021-01-01</dc:date>
    <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist">Elton John</upnp:artist>
    <upnp:artist>Elton John; Dua Lipa</upnp:artist>
    <upnp:album>The Lockdown Sessions</upnp:album>
    After:
    Code:
    <dc:title> 1 Elton John - Cold Heart</dc:title>
    <dc:creator>Elton John; Dua Lipa</dc:creator>
    <dc:date>2021-01-01</dc:date>
    <upnp:album>The Lockdown Sessions</upnp:album>
    Instead of the control point now showing the track title and on a different line the albumartist (which it was incorrectly taking ), we now just see "[track] - [first trackartist] - [title]" on one line.
    There's no text wrap in the control point so we're now losing the end of quite a lot of songs.

Is it possible to modify this so that it just leaves the artist tag?

This solution may also be of use to other renderers like the 851N and CXNv2 and certain Oppo's.

Thanks.

Comment

• PeterP
      Super Moderator
      • Jul 2011

Re: Serving &quot;composer&quot; tag instead of &quot;artist&quot; tag ?

Reply copied from other thread, was just writing it as you posted

Thanks for the bug report.

Regarding modified title and changed album display-
      ={no-identification} is not behaving as documented and values specified there were affecting your controlpoint until you added a special section for it. It currently affects control points not maching specific criteria, not control points not sending any identification.
      This results in unrelated behavior changes from just adding a new section for the controlpoint. To work around, duplicate lines from ={no-identification} in =OPPO PLAYER.
      I'm not sure what this was changed for, searching change logs now.

The intended behavior of [SimpleArtist] is to send no artist info other than <dc:creator>. Is <upnp:artist> duplicating value of <dc:creator> really needed here? If yes, I'll make it possible to send such.

Comment

• simbun
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2021

Originally posted by PeterP
        [i]Regarding modified title and changed album display-
        ={no-identification} is not behaving as documented and values specified there were affecting your controlpoint until you added a special section for it. It currently affects control points not maching specific criteria, not control points not sending any identification.
        This results in unrelated behavior changes from just adding a new section for the controlpoint. To work around, duplicate lines from ={no-identification} in =OPPO PLAYER.
        I thought it might be the [SimpleArtist] change that was somehow interacting with other settings, but that makes sense.

Originally posted by PeterP
        The intended behavior of [SimpleArtist] is to send no artist info other than <dc:creator>. Is <upnp:artist> duplicating value of <dc:creator> really needed here? If yes, I'll make it possible to send such.
        I can confirm that the WiiM control point is - and it looks like the Oppo and CXN/851N are - just pulling the first <upnp:artist> tag, so with all of them now removed the WiiM isn't displaying anything, whilst the 851N is displaying "Unknown Artist".

In theory it might be better to simply change the order of the artist and albumartist tags (this is what BubbleUPnP Server does when it proxies a media server) in the standard Asset output.

Thanks Peter.

Comment

• Jotbolger
          • Aug 2020

If it's any help, I get the same behaviour with my Yamaha amps and MusicCast app. The now playing always displays the composer instead of the track or album artist.

Comment

• simbun
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Jotbolger
            If it's any help, I get the same behaviour with my Yamaha amps and MusicCast app. The now playing always displays the composer instead of the track or album artist.
            Assuming MusicCast is pulling tags from Asset and not from the file itself (which you can test yourself by following post *6 from here, making sure you add composer) then this should help too.

Comment

Working...

]]>