title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Can Video Converter strip meta data from .wtv files? Can it downscale resolution?

Can Video Converter strip meta data from .wtv files? Can it downscale resolution?

I record a LOT of television using Windows Media Center (yes, still on Windows 7 especially for this program).

The files in recent years have become very voluminous. Television shows that formerly would take about 300MB/hour of television now take about 3-5GB/hour of television. That is 10x larger. I suspect much of it is re-scaling for shows recorded for 250 interlaced scan lines (old NTSC broadcast standard) to 4K (2160 scan lines).

I have a program that extracts the meta data and builds me a file containing the information on the file of the date first broadcast (television)/date released (cinema), director, actors, title, subtitle (for television episodes). After I have extracted the information I really do not need it any longer on the file and would like to get rid of it.

Also my vision is was never so good as to be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 2160p. I can barely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p and that is only if I freeze frames and compare them. I do not need all the detail in my recordings and would like to downscale all to no more than 1080p.

I have already decided to purchase CD Ripper (thank you for the trial period, I am still ripping but GREAT product). There is just a 50% off Video Converter if I purchase with "dBpoweramp Music Converter & CD Ripper" Personal Reference.

Administrator

Re: Can Video Converter strip meta data from .wtv files? Can it downscale resolution

You can try the trial, I do no think we can strip the metadata currently.

Re: Can Video Converter strip meta data from .wtv files? Can it downscale resolution

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can try the trial, I do no think we can strip the metadata currently.
    I should be ready to start testing Video Converter within a week or so. A definite answer would have been more useful, but I really appreciate an honest answer of "I do not know" or "No it cannot do that" because it lets me know what I may have to deal during testing (thank you for the trial period) or after purchase (when no trial period).

If I understand your response:

the program can downscale from 2160p (4K) to either 1080p (2K) or 720p (HD) if at 4k resolution. This alone should save theoretically up to 75+% of the space files are taking when going from 4K to 2K and even more going to HD. Maybe after downsizing, I will not even care about the couple hundred thousand bytes of metadata at least for a while. (At 700KB, metadata would be using about 1/4 the file space.)

the program may not be able to strip the metadata. If it does not, I guess I will have to study the .wtv file format and see if I can strip the metadata before conversion. Hopefully when researching I will find out what data packets are required by .wtv and which I can discard.

I do wish to finish ripping as many of my current CDs while under trial as possible mostly because I have finally started after a long time thinking, "I need to do this, maybe tomorrow".

If I could purchase CD Ripper now and have the discount on Video Converter still apply say in two months (50% off), I would make that purchase immediately. CD Ripper does everything that I would program and more. I never thought of going to Discogs and other internet sites for information. I was only going to extract what was on the disks. Bravo.

Unfortunately, I could not get Video Converter to work. Whenever I changed any of the settings the program aborted. I will admit, it did give a warning about changing any setting may result in instability, however it was precisely for those configuration features I would have purchased the program.

I have found a way to do what I wish by making multiple runs of ffmpeg and then a BASIC program. The first run converts .wtv to .mpeg. The second run I sets the output to 1920x1080 resolution. The BASIC program then generates a directory listing, reads that listing, and deletes one of the files, keeping the smaller (original may have been at less the 1920x1080) or the original if they are both 1920x1080 resolution.

It is clunky, but it is working.

Again thank you for the trial so I could see if it could do what I desired. I have completed the purchase of the CD ripper software (Music Converter Reference).