title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Low Volume

  1. #1

    Low Volume

    I am trying to convert my iTunes m4a files to mp3, and for the first time have came to a problem. For some reason my mp3s are low volume and when I switch over to the original m4a file the volume is normal, much louder. Is there something I've done wrong? It's doing it with all of them I've converted since I updated to 17.7 this morning...

    And it seems to be just the music converter, as I ripped a CD and the mp3s are fine.
    Last edited by WastelandMO; 12-10-2022 at 07:45 PM.

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    43,879

    Re: Low Volume

    What are you using for playback? perhaps the m4a files have Sound Check (or replaygain tags) to adjust the volume.

  3. #3

    Re: Low Volume

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    What are you using for playback? perhaps the m4a files have Sound Check (or replaygain tags) to adjust the volume.
    Sound Check is on in iTunes, but when I play the mp3s back it's via MPC and they are very low, I then play the m4a in MPC and their are normal. I don't think sound check on in iTunes would effect it in MPC?

    I downloaded VLC to test on that, and it plays the converted mp3 extremely low, too.
    Last edited by WastelandMO; 12-11-2022 at 04:31 PM.

  4. #4
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    5,740

    Re: Low Volume

    Do your files have ReplayGain tags and is MPC a ReplayGain capable player?

  5. #5

    Re: Low Volume

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Do your files have ReplayGain tags and is MPC a ReplayGain capable player?
    Honestly, never even heard of ReplayGain, so not sure how to know of the files have the tags or not, but they are straight iTunes m4a files purchased, then converted to mp3. I do know MPC has the regain volume option, but either way it is still low. Same with VLC. I never had an issue before converting my purchases to mp3 before, but since update dBpoweramp the other day, it's had this problem. I do see in dBpoweramp when converting at the bottom of advanced options, it says final lame cli -b 256 - no replaygain? Sorry if I don't seem to know all this stuff lol

  6. #6

    Re: Low Volume

    Quote Originally Posted by WastelandMO View Post
    Honestly, never even heard of ReplayGain, so not sure how to know of the files have the tags or not, but they are straight iTunes m4a files purchased, then converted to mp3. I do know MPC has the regain volume option, but either way it is still low. Same with VLC. I never had an issue before converting my purchases to mp3 before, but since update dBpoweramp the other day, it's had this problem. I do see in dBpoweramp when converting at the bottom of advanced options, it says final lame cli -b 256 - no replaygain? Sorry if I don't seem to know all this stuff lol
    So, I decided to play around with the program in the last few minutes, and I found replaygain in the dsp effects... set some settings, converted a file and it's working!

  7. #7
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    441

    Re: Low Volume

    Quote Originally Posted by WastelandMO View Post
    I never had an issue before converting my purchases to mp3 before, but since update dBpoweramp the other day, it's had this problem. I do see in dBpoweramp when converting at the bottom of advanced options, it says final lame cli -b 256 - no replaygain? Sorry if I don't seem to know all this stuff lol
    The easiest way to confirm whether the volume has actually been reduced by the conversion (and not an affect of other software adjustments e.g. ReplayGain) would be to open them both in an audio editor like Audacity. The tracks obviously won't be identical but the amplitude should be broadly the same.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    1

    Re: Low Volume

    Could you please explain what settings you've changed because I have the same problem?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •