title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Converting FLAC to MP3 inserting gaps in mp3

Converting FLAC to MP3 inserting gaps in mp3

Unfortunately my car player won't play FLACs, so I'm converting a playlist to MP3.

dbpoweramp music converter is inserting microgaps between the tracks in the resultant mp3 files.

Is there any way to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Converting FLAC to MP3 inserting gaps in mp3

Are you sure that your car player can play gapless? Or that it can handle the metadata the right way? Do you hear those microgaps with your audio player (which must support gapless playback as well) on your PC?

Dat Ei

Thanks very much for the reply.

Yes. To narrow things down I converted the flac files to mp3 on my pc using dbpoweramp music converter and then tested in foobar2000. I'm experiencing gaps.
    (I also listened to the flacs in foobar to confirm that there were no pre-existing gaps)

I've been a dbpoweramp user for many years and this is the first time I've experienced this. I was using the 16.6 version and thought maybe it is an incompatibility with win11. I upgraded to 2022-09-02 and then 2022-09-28 and had the same issue with those as well.

Administrator

Using the mp3 lame encoder?

Hi,

Yes, I'm using lame to encode mp3.

I did notice in advanced settings that the flac decoder is showing VLC. I tested by converting to wav and no gaps were introduced, so I don't think that's it.

Thanks!
    Jon
    Last edited by polecat112; 10-01-2022 at 04:18 PM.

Administrator

You did not set any option such as the ISO compatibility?

No. The only option that is set is "Original"

In the advanced tab, the Final Lame command line is -b 320 --noreplaygain

This is bizarre.

Thx!

Administrator

Ok what I tried, I took a wave file, and removed a few seconds from the start and end, so audio was right to start and end of the file (used audacity), saved the wave file.

Then converted it to mp3 using the settings you have.

Then converted it back to wave, and dropped the new file on audacity. The resulting file was sample perfect (dBpoweramp would decode the file as gapless).

Then I dropped the mp3 file into foobar, and used its converter (quick convert to wave), the resulting wave file had the exact sample count as the original wave file, and samples looked the same right from the start.

This is the strangest thing.

I went back and confirmed my settings. Everything looked fine. I just converted a bunch of live tracks to mp3 and they all play fine in foobar. No issues at all.

I can't explain what happened, but every thing is fine now.

I appreciate the time you took to reply and help me with this.

Thanks!
    Jon